Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : Nylabone garbage or good? Other toys...
 Emily.Rose.
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/21/2019 10:21:14 AM reply with quote send message to Emily.Rose. Object to Post   

I'm just curious what others think about Nylabone. I've had a dog snap one of the whimsical shaped ones and could have choked. We immediately got it from them and contacted the company. However, I've never had a problem with any of the more natural shaped ones or anything.
I was at the vet and somehow got to talking about Nylabones, and they said they no longer recommend them in their office. I originally got Nylabone because they were recommended from them. Has something changed recently and I am unaware?
I did a little research online and the people that are saying they they are bad are also stating that everything is bad. Some of these terrible toy lists included sticks, dog bones, raw bones, Himalayan cheese chews, antlers, ice cubes, squeak toys, latex toys, vinyl toys, rope toys, tennis balls, and the list goes on and on. Several even had Kongs listed on them.
I'm just curious what others think. My dogs enjoy them and we always have supervision for them with their toys. So I never seen any harm from these toys,
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/21/2019 6:48:00 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I've had Nylabones for years and several dogs and never had any problems - except that the chewing end get all fuzzy so I have to clean them off every once in a while (Am cockers) - a slicker brush works pretty well.

That said, none of my dogs seem really keen on them once the "new" factor has worn off. Baxter will gnaw on it once in a while for a few minutes. He's more into the squeaky toys.

I'm curious though about what your vet's opinion is - are they aware of something specific? I'll ave to ask mine next time if I remember.
 Emily.Rose
Basic User

Basic User
9/21/2019 7:15:11 PM reply with quote send message to Emily.Rose Object to Post

When I asked them, the nurse lady just said that it "not healthy for them". I think the verdict is that it is too hard of a plastic for their teeth and some dogs are not properly supervised with them, but I'm not sure. I just thought it was silly because my dogs do enjoy them and they were highly recommended by them at first.
I stock up on them as gifts for puppies from past litters when they are just a few dollars and I buy them all the time for my dogs. My dogs get quite a bit of usage out of ours.
 Hyorina
Basic User

Basic User
9/21/2019 8:55:54 PM reply with quote send message to Hyorina Object to Post

Hard chews of any type can cause slab fractures, so I imagine that's why. There are lots of people that don't give their dogs hard chews due to the risk to their teeth and lots of people that do give them. Mine aren't super hard chewers, so I let them have nylabones. It could also be potentially dangerous if your dog is able to gnaw off and ingest large pieces.
 Pasquel
Basic User

Basic User
9/22/2019 11:22:33 AM reply with quote send message to Pasquel Object to Post

I don’t give nylabones as prefer more natural chews such as cow hooves. I do supervise though as they can chew off chunks. I tried antler once but my dogs were t keen on them and I would end up stepping on them barefoot sad :(

Replies in this thread : 4

Did you know?
A specialty show may be regional or national. A "Best in Show" win at a national specialty show is tremendously prestigious, indicating that the winning dog or bitch triumphed at a contest which attracted entries from the most serious fanciers of that breed in the country or continent. Some specialty shows attract international entries.