Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 14

Author Topic : Saving Weimaraner's
 Duskwood Kennel
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/31/2018 11:17:36 PM reply with quote send message to Duskwood Kennel Object to Post   

I'm trying to save this breed. There are a few studs available so I don't have to start completely over. Can anyone offer some suggestions about how to bring them back?
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/31/2018 11:33:40 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I've never worked from starters, well since I started.

If you've found some more or less current studs that are available, I'd use every one of them on the starter girls you have. How many are there? I'll take one or two from your first litters and start a small side project to help you out a bit.
 Duskwood Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/31/2018 11:45:36 PM reply with quote send message to Duskwood Kennel Object to Post

There are 5 studs with SOP's in the 93's. I've bred to three of them. I have two more starters that can breed in 5 days. Should I breed to the lone male I have or use the studs and save my male for later? I'll gladly share the glory with you haha.

Maybe they don't need saving since it looks like they've been here before?
 Zoetic
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/1/2018 3:07:38 AM reply with quote send message to Zoetic Object to Post

This user has a few for $25 www.showdog.com/general/user_information.aspx?user=Georgian - They haven't logged in since August so I'm assuming they don't show up on the stud list.

I'd use those for a while to your sources, maybe use one or two and then breed those offspring to the other offspring, then breed to another one or two of Georgian's (for example - to keep COI down). They're not very old - they probably have a couple hundred days left in them or more unless Georgian returns. You could always message that user and let them know your plans in case they log in again.

Good luck.

Zoetic
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/1/2018 3:18:44 AM reply with quote send message to Zoetic Object to Post

Also maybe message this user and ask if you can use their studs. They may be unaware there's someone wanting to get into the breed. In my experience, messaging users always is helpful. It's rare people don't want help in a dying breed.

www.showdog.com/general/user_information.aspx?user=UltraViolet+Kennels
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/1/2018 10:07:37 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I second the advise to contact Ultraviolet. They have a number of un-named girls too so maybe they'd let you have one or two and partner up on the project with us. They have a couple of newish litters and their last login is current.

As for your starter male, I'd keep him around for a while in case you run into COI issues later but there do seem to be more nice males around than were obvious at first.

Thanks Zoetic for that find - I looked around but didn't find UV.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 11/1/2018 10:11:03 PM
 gaylanstudio3
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/1/2018 10:48:44 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio3 Object to Post

I made an offer on one of UV's girls and asked about putting their two boys up for stud - we'll see what happens.
 Stormbringer Retrievers
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/2/2018 8:20:14 PM reply with quote send message to Stormbringer Retrievers Object to Post

I'll give it a shot, I still have 5 starter dogs coming to me. I'm a newbie, so it will be a good learning experience. Any suggestions on what to get for starters?

-----
Last edited by Stormbringer Retrievers on 11/2/2018 8:21:21 PM
 GaylanStudio1
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/3/2018 10:26:53 PM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio1 Object to Post

UV shows as having logged in today but my messages haven't been read - maybe tomorrow.

Stormbringer:
I'd just start with one female for now and breed her to one of the higher SOP males that have been identified (hope for lots of girls), then breed the girls to a mix of the other studs. Keep the males for now if you can in case they are needed later.

If everyone keeps and stands at least one of their half-starter boys there should be enough variety from the starter side of the pedigree plus the currently available studs to move forward.
 GaylanStudio1
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/4/2018 2:29:36 PM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio1 Object to Post

Ok, no response from UV. I made a starter (Steely Dawn), bred her to Weim594, put her on the good stuff and sessioned her. She's entered in a few no-handler shows, including the Nationals after she welps. Gonna go BOB!
 Lunatic
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/4/2018 2:45:46 PM reply with quote send message to Lunatic Object to Post

I have a few as it's the last breed I need to do for my breed a champion in every breed project. If someone can help me finish one I'll gladly stay on in the breed afterwards to help out.

Weimaraner 1
Basic User

Basic User
11/5/2018 5:45:53 AM reply with quote send message to Weimaraner 1 Object to Post

This kennel has some very nice Starters- but they are old so just offer on them

Also studs up

-----
Last edited by Weimaraner 1 on 11/5/2018 5:46:29 AM
 GaylanStudio1
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/6/2018 1:01:46 AM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio1 Object to Post

Great response from the community!

Lunatic:
I'm sessioning my starter so as soon as she welps and gets past the point of getting turfed by the judge . . . she's advance entered already.

I found another 3 studs that are available. They are just a little past starters but can add a bit more variety to the gene pool.

GoldRun1:
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=15946590 (15.65 Near Starter)
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=15946572 (23.85 Near Starter)
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=15946573 (23.30 Near Starter)
 GaylanStudio1
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/9/2018 7:13:23 PM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio1 Object to Post

And we have a few more studs to choose from plus another participant:

www.showdog.com/general/user_information.aspx?user=X-treme

Check them out.

And I have my first litter! I've posted the details in the breed forum - check'em out as well. Lol.
 X-treme
Basic User

Basic User
11/10/2018 6:26:18 AM reply with quote send message to X-treme Object to Post

posted by GaylanStudio1
And we have a few more studs to choose from plus another participant:

www.showdog.com/general/user_information.aspx?user=X-treme

Check them out.

And I have my first litter! I've posted the details in the breed forum - check'em out as well. Lol.

Well thank you for the intro.
I will have some pups available later today if anyone wants some new blood.

Replies in this thread : 14

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.