Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 8

Author Topic : Sessioning Impatience
 Iron Cork
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/12/2018 9:59:49 AM reply with quote send message to Iron Cork Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Does anyone else ever feel like by the time they get done sessioning a dog to show ready, the breed has already advanced and it's time for a better pup? Sometimes these Afghans make me want to throw a fit! LOL. Just curious. I can't be the only one out there who yells 'Oh, come on!" at my computer screen when those stupid numbers don't go up.
I show up every single day to session these beasts! Lol

Hope everyone is having a stellar week!

-----
Last edited by Iron Cork on 9/12/2018 10:00:34 AM
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/12/2018 10:32:24 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Lol. Well, I find it helps to figure out at what age each breed hits 20. It's a psychological thing. I know Basenjis wouldn't be there until day 39 or so (not currently active with them but I think it's around then) so I don't fret about it.

Secondly - I believe it's consistent within a breed so if your 14 day olds are still at 18 for training so are everyone else's - show them anyway.

The only variables in this are quality of food and consistency on your part for the sessioning.If you are sessioning every day and have them on an appropriate form of 1777, that's the best you can do and it's the best anyone else can do.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
 White Birch Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/12/2018 11:17:11 AM reply with quote send message to White Birch Kennel Object to Post

Because I have a few breeds that session slowly I have a rule that I only show dogs that are better sop wise than what has gone before - it means that I show less dogs but overall they are better quality and able to keep up with the competition - hope this helps happy :)
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/12/2018 11:58:55 AM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

You'd have to define better dogs... higher SOP does not mean a better dog, generally speaking. I've had many dogs in this kennel disappoint where lower SOP with consistent traits are constantly placing.

Show them anyway. That's the fun of the game!
 JLVH Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/12/2018 1:29:56 PM reply with quote send message to JLVH Kennels Object to Post

I find this in sessioning for obedience. My Dogos take forever to session, but my Border Collie seemed to session faster. I don't tend to session anything for obedience until I see how its doing in confirmation though, so age plays a factor in how fast something improves as well as breed. I do feel your frustration, I have definitely yelled at the computer more than once.
 Tarot
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/12/2018 2:38:48 PM reply with quote send message to Tarot Object to Post

Having owned and shows Afghan Hounds for many years, trust me, it's a trait of the breed. Stubborn and independent. LOL. Sometimes I wish this game wasn't so true to life.
 Tarot
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/12/2018 2:41:03 PM reply with quote send message to Tarot Object to Post

For instance I have two 27-day-old ones who are stuck on 19 for obedience. Their muscle and coat have been at 20 for a while... So true of their RL counterparts. LOL
 Diasonia
Basic User

Basic User
9/12/2018 8:32:28 PM reply with quote send message to Diasonia Object to Post

I feel the same way on many of my breeds, so I stopped sessioning and showing as much because I do feel like by the time I start showing, the better SOPs/dogs come along. With one of my breeds, I am always last, not sure why, but I stopped showing them completely and now working only on SOP for the most part.
 Flush
Basic User

Basic User
9/13/2018 12:04:31 AM reply with quote send message to Flush Object to Post

I like to breed my bitches at 30 days when I can. It only delays them getting going in the ring for 10 days.. Then you have the next generation ready much sooner than waiting for a bitch to finish.

Replies in this thread : 8

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.