Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 13

Author Topic : breeding for color
 Gracefield
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/5/2018 2:19:02 PM reply with quote send message to Gracefield Object to Post   

I understand genetics and color genes, at least in real life. I get the biology and how to draw out the "squares" to figure out which genes will be produced by a breeding. But what I don't know is, is there a place where we can figure out which genes our dogs actually have? In Spanish Water Dogs, there are several combinations that result in the same color. Is it possible to figure out which genes my dogs have so I can figure out who I need to breed to get the colors that I want?
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/5/2018 3:04:37 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

We are not told which hidden genes our dogs carry - I'm guessing you are thinking about the genetic testing that has become available in recent years. No we do not have that - I don't think it is a good idea; the rabbit game tells us what is hidden and it really "spoils" the colour aspects.

So, what you have to do is plan out a test breeding project and then track the colours, guess at the likely hidden genes and then test to prove or disprove. I'm currently doing a lot of that. (We are back in the 40's and 50's before sequencing as far as genetics go - lol.
 Gracefield
Basic User

Basic User
8/5/2018 3:55:54 PM reply with quote send message to Gracefield Object to Post

That sounds like a lot of work. More than I have time to dedicate...
I'm not patient enough for that experiment! Lol. Guess I will just breed randomly and keep my finger crossed. Thanks!
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/6/2018 12:09:02 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

What are you trying to do? By looking at parents, siblings and offspring colour you can make a lot of educated guesses without actually breeding.

Oh, and you usually end up keeping a lot of dogs are chronically over limit, but it can be quite a captivating enterprise. Lol. Give it a try.
 Gracefield
Basic User

Basic User
8/6/2018 8:32:59 AM reply with quote send message to Gracefield Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

The majority of my SWD are black and brown, I'd just like to see some bicolors. I don't think it really makes a difference in the grand scheme of showing, but I'd hate to see some colors get lost if I am strictly breeding blacks and browns

-----
Last edited by Gracefield on 8/6/2018 8:33:23 AM
 Churro
Basic User

Basic User
8/6/2018 12:06:20 PM reply with quote send message to Churro Object to Post

posted by Gracefield
The majority of my SWD are black and brown, I'd just like to see some bicolors. I don't think it really makes a difference in the grand scheme of showing, but I'd hate to see some colors get lost if I am strictly breeding blacks and browns

-----
Last edited by Gracefield on 8/6/2018 8:33:23 AM

----------------------------------------

Hello Gracefield

I heard your plea for other colors in the SWD, so I thought I would create this kennel for more colors

Yes, these are admin dogs, but they may help in the long run to give more colors to the breed.

I will have pups for sale if I don't need them

Churro
 gaylanstudio8
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/6/2018 1:14:21 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio8 Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

If you just want to add the bi-colours (anything with white) its pretty easy.

The dog I sighted in the earlier post will carry the white markings. Find another compatible dog that has a "with white" parent - it too will carry that gene. Breed them and you "should" get 1/4 solids S/S, 1/2 Solid/parti carriers S/sp,sw, and 1/4 something with whites sp/sp (or si or sw).

Edit:
The parti sire of High As Life is still available. Breed him to some of your other girls. You may not get partis but ALL of the pups will carry the parti allele and you should be able to breed one of them back to Life.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio8 on 8/6/2018 1:26:02 PM
 Gracefield
Basic User

Basic User
8/6/2018 9:09:55 PM reply with quote send message to Gracefield Object to Post

Thanks both of you!
 Gracefield
Basic User

Basic User
8/6/2018 9:12:35 PM reply with quote send message to Gracefield Object to Post

Churro!! The whites!!!! Let me know when those litters go up for sale!
 Churro
Basic User

Basic User
8/6/2018 9:25:47 PM reply with quote send message to Churro Object to Post

posted by Gracefield
Churro!! The whites!!!! Let me know when those litters go up for sale!
--------------------------------

I will post them on the breed sale board, and will try to remember to message you.
 UnicornWonderland
Basic User

Basic User
8/7/2018 1:37:12 PM reply with quote send message to UnicornWonderland Object to Post

Hey Gracefield
I am actually trying to breed SOPs and Colors as well. happy :)
I was thinking of putting this lady for sale if you are interested:
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=16442313

I have several Dogs that are not Black or Brown and once they come to age they will put put up as studs.

I just cleaned up the kenned couple of days ago and had to let go of some greet colored dogs because I didn't have space and they weren't selling. IM me anytime you are looking for something particular, it's tough to keep up with the forum for me.
 Gracefield
Basic User

Basic User
8/7/2018 3:17:41 PM reply with quote send message to Gracefield Object to Post

I wish I would've seen those white and blacks before you FH'd them sad :(
 UnicornWonderland
Basic User

Basic User
8/7/2018 7:43:48 PM reply with quote send message to UnicornWonderland Object to Post

Believe me, i wish i knew that someone was interested. There were different lines, color genes. Now I know and we can wofk togetherhappy :)
I got white srarter stud up.
 Gracefield
Basic User

Basic User
8/7/2018 7:57:26 PM reply with quote send message to Gracefield Object to Post

Definately. I have all my of-age boys up. I have a couple coming up, and the 70 SOP is still a bit away from breeding age.

Replies in this thread : 13

The Kennel Club (UK) system, which is also used by the Australian National Kennel Council[1] and in other countries, is considered the most difficult to earn a title under.