Search

.com Forum · Source Breeder Forum

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : Possible to get 0 COI?
 Foxfire Kennel
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/4/2018 1:21:34 PM reply with quote send message to Foxfire Kennel Object to Post   

I had to start from source dogs with Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. I'm trying to prevent any inbreeding and keeping COI at 0. So far I have gotten up to 6 generations with a 0 COI but that was only because I ended up using a male source dog. My question is, how many generations has anyone gotten up to and is it possible to have a line without any inbreeding. Currently all kennels except for 1 have started their own line so I am unable to use older gen. dogs.
 Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
7/8/2018 4:30:45 PM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

It’s super hard to keep a line with no inbreeding, especially in one kennel. You’d have to keep separate lines within your own kennel which would be super tricky without a ton of kennel space. If you don’t use source studs for breeding I’d be surprised if you managed to get even 3 generations of 0 COI pups, but I’ve never tried!

Right now in Manchester Terriers there are separate strains from different kennels so I’ve managed to make 0 COI for a few breedings and they’re at generation 110. That required a few kennels though and the parents themselves had COI that was 5+ or so.

I don’t see much point in keeping 0 COI though, as long as the percentage doesn’t climb too much I don’t think it really makes a difference?
 Foxfire Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/10/2018 12:14:12 PM reply with quote send message to Foxfire Kennel Object to Post

There are a few other chessie breeders. I could be wrong but I seem to be the most active player trying to get SOP up. But for the most part I am trying to keep chessies as pure as possible, like I said, I am now up to 6 generations with a 0 COI. I'm just curious as to how many generations people have gotten up to before starting to inbreed.

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.