Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 9

Author Topic : Just venting...
 Tarot
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
6/17/2018 10:53:07 AM reply with quote send message to Tarot Object to Post   

I am overwhelmed right now with all the judges. I used to have a chart where I listed all the judges, their preferences, handlers, etc., so it was relatively easy for me to pick what dogs to enter under what judges. I gave that up ages ago because I just can't keep up with all the judges! I used to consistently get group wins, as well as BIS placings. Now I'm lucky to make it into the group. It's just too confusing.

I've decided several of my youngsters who are just starting out will be owner handled, just because it's too time consuming to have to look up each judge at each show and figure out what handler to use.

In some of my other kennels, I've stopped showing altogether, which I really miss.

It's frustrating. If they just wouldn't keep changing...

Sorry, just venting...
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/17/2018 11:11:13 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

You're overthinking.

Just take a breath. Enter at your own pace. Don't worry about shooting for BIS. Your dogs are nice enough where they will line up for show placements as they come along.

Within a short time, your entry memory will let you know what judges are good for your breed.

Jeff has built all the info into the game now. No need to keep charts. Judge info and handler rankings are right in front of you when you do entries.

Your dogs are nice enough to go up even on mediocre handlers. So having the #1 handler for a judge isn't that crucial.

If I am having a "I hate this game" moment, I will take a day or two away from signing in and by the time I come back... I am ready to go again.

Will

Basic User

Basic User
6/17/2018 12:00:31 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

I like having a huge pool of judges and having the show winners be more varied. But I definitely get how you feel about remembering the technical things, handlers/no handlers/specific traits etc.
I tried keeping excel charts years ago, but I was never even organized enough to keep them up to date back then. laugh :D
So I just focus on 1 or 2 specials that I want to win group/show placements and I do their entries the slow way, using the in-game preference tables.
I don't worry so much about my class dogs, I just enter where the points are, with which ever high ranking handler is not taken regardless of the judge's preferences... unless it's owner handler.
 Nachthunde
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/17/2018 12:01:12 PM reply with quote send message to Nachthunde Object to Post

^^Oops that was me happy :)
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/17/2018 12:26:13 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

You got this!

I've been picking up BISs lately on the dogs that I didn't expect it on. The ones I think will do it... not so much. haha

Will
 Rossett Spaniels
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/17/2018 12:27:59 PM reply with quote send message to Rossett Spaniels Object to Post

I like the variety of Judges.
Some are Handler free, too.
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/17/2018 2:17:55 PM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

The judge glitch is the greatest thing to happen to this website. I've been getting group wins and placements all over the place in all of my kennels. It's a teeny bit time consuming but having a wonderful dog place under several judges is so validating.
 Tarot
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/18/2018 7:40:46 PM reply with quote send message to Tarot Object to Post

Actually, despite my venting, I have never had an "I hate this game" moment. I always love it, just some days more than others. And I'm taking your advice. I'm just going to spend some time doing some research and limit my showing to 1 or 2 per kennel. Thanks BarStar. LOL

Basic User

Basic User
6/19/2018 1:50:22 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

I'm pretty much ok with the judge thing. I've never been too much into picking judges - perhaps it more of a thing with the real popular judges and high SOP breeds.

Apart from looking for owner-judges I tend to look at entries. I'll stick in a dog where I see only one entry just so someone gets at least one point whether its me or someone else. If I have a lot of dogs to show, I'll sometimes scatter them around all the available shows so that there are at least two in every show.

If I have "special" dogs that have done well under certain judges, I'll seek out those judges for those dogs.

This is pretty close to how I showed my real dogs except the criteria was more like how far away was the show (if its local we go regardless of judge), or do I have friends that I want to visit (if yes and within a reasonable distance, we go).

In real life, nearby shows are too scarce to boycott because of a judge just not picking my dog and distant shows involve too much expense and travel time.
 Bennett Working Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
6/20/2018 2:09:41 AM reply with quote send message to Bennett Working Dogs Object to Post

I think all the judges are great. I consider it an improvement. I find since the handler ranking are right there oon each page for selecting a handler it is relatively easy for me. The only thing I keep a chart of, and I've only just started doing this, which judges give placements to my dogs if any. I figure my dogs are either good enough, or not good enough, so I don't worry about judges so much. I do ok.

Replies in this thread : 9

Did you know?
The figure 8 exercise requires the team to heel in a figure 8 pattern either on or off leash. Generally two of the ring stewards will assist the judge with this exercise by acting as "posts", standing 8 feet apart, that the team walks around to form the loops of the figure 8.