Search

.com Forum · Beginner Forum

Replies in this thread : 8

Author Topic : Show Question
 Novolina
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/11/2018 9:29:42 AM reply with quote send message to Novolina Object to Post   

If there is nobody else entering the shows from your breed and you have just one dog to enter - what do you do in this case?
Should someone always have at least 2 dogs on the same account entering in the same show then?
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/11/2018 10:25:34 AM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

Breed your own competition. Some people are playing mostly against themselves, myself included.
 Novolina
Basic User

Basic User
5/11/2018 10:26:17 AM reply with quote send message to Novolina Object to Post

Understood, thank you.
It isn't as fun, but makes complete sense.
 Aldeberan
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/11/2018 10:39:00 AM reply with quote send message to Aldeberan Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I have that situation with my Komondor. No other competition and no studs. I pretty much just have them sitting in the kennel, and breed them occasionally just to keep my line going. Of course, they are getting totally inbred. Eventually I will be breeding a dog to itself... LOL

I have too many dogs and other breeds in my kennel to keep more than a few.

-----
Last edited by Aldeberan on 5/11/2018 1:13:01 PM
 Diasonia
Basic User

Basic User
5/11/2018 10:56:29 AM reply with quote send message to Diasonia Object to Post

posted by Aldeberan
I have that situation with my Komondor. No other competition and no studs. I pretty much just have them sitting in the kennel
That is really sad. I wish there were more people, at least 2 people per breed to play.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/11/2018 2:12:58 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

While you are competing against yourself at the breed level you can make it a goal to get group placements and better. I was just tickled pink to get my first all breed best in show with an Airedale a couple of weeks ago. Plus, group and show level wins raise the profile of your breed and may attract more players.
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/11/2018 3:35:43 PM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

posted by gaylanstudio
While you are competing against yourself at the breed level you can make it a goal to get group placements and better. I was just tickled pink to get my first all breed best in show with an Airedale a couple of weeks ago. Plus, group and show level wins raise the profile of your breed and may attract more players.
Yes, this is what I do for the most part.

Also if I could get Jeff to upload Picardys color images for my breed, perhaps people would also be interested. They really do help, I think.
 Mijas
Basic User

Basic User
5/11/2018 5:13:08 PM reply with quote send message to Mijas Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by Aldeberan
I have that situation with my Komondor. No other competition and no studs. I pretty much just have them sitting in the kennel, and breed them occasionally just to keep my line going. Of course, they are getting totally inbred. Eventually I will be breeding a dog to itself... LOL

I have too many dogs and other breeds in my kennel to keep more than a few.

-----
Last edited by Aldeberan on 5/11/2018 1:13:01 PM

I'd be happy to have a go breeding Komondors if you could help out with a couple of studs?
I'd start with source dogs first to introduce some variety of the genes and could compete as well, although it'll taste a while to get up to your level?

Edited just to say that I see you already have a couple of studs happy :) I'm looking forward to helping the breed!

-----
Last edited by Mijas on 5/11/2018 5:22:05 PM
 Puzzle Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
5/17/2018 1:47:26 AM reply with quote send message to Puzzle Kennel Object to Post

I tried to do this, play against myself, and it was so depressing for me. While I did get group and show placements in my breed, I found they were meaningless to me because I was only competing against my own dogs at the breed level. Now, I'm not judging anyone who does this, we all gotta play the way that's right for us.

However, when it happened to me, I didn't quit my breed, I offred a couple of really nice dogs to some friends of mine and retired breeding bitches and studs for $25, if they made an offer. In the breeds where this didn't work, I got out, FH'd my dogs and started over with breeds with other players. I enjoy friendly competition, but competition amongst no one but myself just wasn't fulfilling for me.

I understand a lot of folks do this because there just aren't the player there used to be. Tell your firneds. PUt it on facebook. You never know what might happen. happy :) Or keep playing until you place at the group or show level and wait until others become interested... Either way, it's not wrong.

Replies in this thread : 8

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.