Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 11

Author Topic : Chocolate Poodles (all Poodles)
 Pattys Poodle Pups
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/10/2018 9:16:37 PM reply with quote send message to Pattys Poodle Pups Object to Post   

Just curious as why there isn't Chocolate Poodles on here when they have them in real Poodles. Is it just cause they are not popular or do you have to request colors that are not so popular....
 Aldeberan
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/10/2018 9:17:51 PM reply with quote send message to Aldeberan Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

They do, but they are just called brown.

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=15867153

-----
Last edited by Aldeberan on 3/10/2018 9:18:23 PM
 Pattys Poodle Pups
Basic User

Basic User
3/10/2018 10:20:10 PM reply with quote send message to Pattys Poodle Pups Object to Post

I'm buying a real toy poodle and the breeder says they are some what drker then brown so there called chocolate. That's why I was asking. Thanks for the info happy :)
 Aldeberan
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/11/2018 11:30:53 AM reply with quote send message to Aldeberan Object to Post

You have me there. I don't really know much about poodles.
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/11/2018 11:35:05 AM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

www.akc.org/dog-breeds/poodle/detail/

Brown is the correct reference to the color per the AKC.
 Hounds of SkyHaven
Basic User

Basic User
3/11/2018 1:25:28 PM reply with quote send message to Hounds of SkyHaven Object to Post

As stated before, Brown is the correct terminology. Chocolate sounds more interesting when you are trying to sell a dog.
 Alibi
Basic User

Basic User
3/11/2018 4:01:00 PM reply with quote send message to Alibi Object to Post

My mom has a standard poodle and Brown in the correct colour term. "chocolate" sounds more appealing but it is really just a "designer" colour term. Brown is Brown.
 residential5
Basic User

Basic User
3/12/2018 10:42:25 AM reply with quote send message to residential5 Object to Post

There are shades of brown, your breeder might be using the term to distinguish from cafe au lait, which is also a brown with the dilution gene as well.
 Arial Eve
Basic User

Basic User
3/13/2018 8:31:03 AM reply with quote send message to Arial Eve Object to Post

AKC has no such thing as a chocolate color in poodles. It is brown.

If a breeder is calling a poodle chocolate, it's being used as a marketing gimmick just like teacup poodles or royal poodles.

PooDane Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/14/2018 5:44:37 AM reply with quote send message to PooDane Kennels Object to Post

THANK-YOU all. I did ask the breeder and she said they call it chocolate because it's fur is a tad darker then brown, but said yes they are brown. She also said if I register my new toy poodle with akc it would refer the dog as brown. To confusing for me. she said I CAN register her with the AKC. But I def won't because I don't want to register her with them. Thanks Again Everyone for the input happy :)
 Alibi
Basic User

Basic User
3/14/2018 4:59:37 PM reply with quote send message to Alibi Object to Post

Why don't you want to register your puppy?

I love brown poodles, my Mom has a red standard and he's a lovely dog. I wish we saw more of the "coloured" poodles in the show ring, mostly black and white where I live, the occasional silver.
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/14/2018 6:53:08 PM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

posted by Alibi
Why don't you want to register your puppy?

I love brown poodles, my Mom has a red standard and he's a lovely dog. I wish we saw more of the "coloured" poodles in the show ring, mostly black and white where I live, the occasional silver.

Would be nice... the recent WKC toy poodle ring was all black and white.

Replies in this thread : 11

Did you know?
A conformation dog show is not a comparison of one dog to another but a comparison of each dog to a judge's mental image of the ideal breed type as outlined in the individual breed's breed standard.