Replies in this thread : 13

Author Topic : Goodbye Molly
 krisk
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/7/2018 6:56:32 PM reply with quote send message to krisk Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Molly,

I remember when she first came home, she just wanted to fit in and run with the big dogs. In no time at all she earned her first nickname, Molly Monkey, why Monkey because she loved to climb up in the cat tree in order to watch out the living room window. When we lost Kenna, Molly was only just a year old, Molly stepped right up and took over as the adult figure for the 3 month old puppies (Seelie and Bug). She loved puppies and was always teaching them how to play. She could be so cussedly stubborn at times (well most times), I often referred to her as a 2x4 dog. Molly never wanted to do anything that didn't suit her own needs. She was always telling people to either f-off or take a long walk off a short pier. She really was very judgmental, she would just look at a person (dead in the eyes) and measure them. She also earned a second nickname, Oodle Doodle, as she loved to talk. She would sing for her supper and "oodle" at you when you came home. Eventually her two nicknames became one and she was often affectionately referred to as Monkey Doodle. They don't come much smarter than Miss Molly. She naturally picked up things and soon I caught on and could ask her to pick up dishes, remotes or keys if I dropped them (the dishes were handy, as she was particularly good at getting the dog dishes out of the back of crates, I liked no having to crawl in). She also learned how to open the baby gate in my house. It was very helpful when you needed to go through the gate but your arms were full, just ask Molly to open it for you. Now, she would also open the gate if she wanted to go lay on the bed (whether she was supposed to or not).

Molly did well in the show ring too, she finished her Championship just before she turned 2 years old and her Grand Championship at 2.5 years old. I will always remember that I wasn't sure if I was going to show Molly to her Grand Championship. She is a very correct and consistent dog, but being a bi-color and not particularly flashy I wasn't sure if she would get the Best of Breed win needed for a GCh. Her first weekend out as a full Special, she took the BOB win over the (at that time) number one GSD in Canada (this also put her half way to her GCh. in points). I remember thinking, well I guess we will finish her GCh. That June she completed her GCh. by going BOB over several BIS winning GSDs. She always gave me her all. She was a little odd outside the ring, usually one of the nosiest ones out there (she always had her voice on). But she liked it when you would get rough, push her or shove her with your feet, it just livened her up. Molly was always one who was a "Game On" kind of dog. I was looking forward to showing her as a Veteran.

Goodbye my Oodle Doodle Dog. I shall miss your oodles and sharp wit. I will miss your presence and stubborn will. I will miss how you complained when I hugged you too long. I will miss how you could stare into my soul. I will just miss you, Molly.

GCh.Sunflower's PrettyInPink Frost
November 21, 2011 - March 6, 2018

krisk

-----
Last edited by krisk on 3/7/2018 7:04:38 PM
 Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/7/2018 9:51:47 PM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

oh my... I'm in tears... I'm so heartbroken for you. I remember when you brought her home and always followed her wins. I think she was one of the most stunning GSD's I'd ever seen, I love bicolours and she was perfection.

I'm so sad... if you can talk about it, what happened?

So much love and hugs... my heart breaks for you.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/7/2018 10:01:17 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

J confess I'm not a big GSD fan but I did love Molly - she was a gorgeous dog. So sorry to hear that she is gone.
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
3/7/2018 11:15:58 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

So sorry to hear sad :( Thinking of you xxx
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/8/2018 10:57:15 AM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

What a beautiful tribute. My heart cries with you. I think we dog lovers have all been there and sometimes I wonder if it's worth it. But of course, we all know it is. Every year on his birthday I post my own "Ode to Jamie" about my childhood GSD. We never forget any of them, but the really special ones are always there. RIP Molly.

-----
Last edited by XiZang on 3/8/2018 10:58:21 AM
 Purrs_Port
Basic User

Basic User
3/9/2018 2:42:26 PM reply with quote send message to Purrs_Port Object to Post

So sorry to hear, she passed 7 years young.
Miss Molly Monkey Oodles now watches you from a cat tree up high!
 krisk
Basic User

Basic User
3/10/2018 7:56:58 PM reply with quote send message to krisk Object to Post

Cancer, last Tuesday. I found a lump in her abdomen the Monday before that. She had vomited by my recliner and I felt her abdomen to see if there was a problem. I found the lump. We went to the vets on Tuesday, were we had an x-ray taken to see what we could see. We could see a mass and her intestines were a little displaced. The vet thought she could feel around it and it was about baseball size. She suggested we do an ultrasound and blood work, these may or may not tell us more about the tumor (and what organs maybe involved). We decided to go straight to surgery, as we would have needed to do this anyway. We scheduled her in for the following Tuesday, so far she really showed no symptoms of a problem. That Friday, I came home from work and she had drank the hole bucket of water and vomited all over the house, she also had a bowel movement (solid) and then loose stools leading to the back door. We rushed back into the vets, we decided to try anti nausea medication and canned food for easy digestion. She ate 3/4 of a can that night. Saturday she refused all food, it took me all day to get her to eat one wiener and a handful of freeze dried treats. Sunday she refused all food, spent most of her time sleeping and when she went outside she never wondered far from the door. She was drinking okay (we limited the amount of water she had available at any given time). Tuesday morning at the vets she was very off. Molly is typically a very excited and talkative dog. She was quite and just laid at my feet. We still chose to go ahead with the planned exploratory surgery. Blood work came back okay. When he (our preferred surgical vet) opened her up they found tumors in her spleen, liver and intestines. As well as multiple cysts. He could not tell us if the cysts were cancerous without a biopsy. He gave us the option of removing part of her liver, spleen and intestine. Then treating her with antibiotics in the hopes of clearing up the cysts (which we had no idea the cause of). And we would hope this worked. He also stated they had not checked her lungs yet. We chose to not have her wake up.

Molly was only 6 years old, she would have turned 7 in November.

krisk
 Alibi
Basic User

Basic User
3/11/2018 4:05:13 PM reply with quote send message to Alibi Object to Post

Just heartbreaking sad :( I'm so sorry for your loss.
 Dream Castle Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/18/2018 11:11:36 AM reply with quote send message to Dream Castle Kennels Object to Post

I am so very sorry to hear about Molly!
 Steph
Basic User

Basic User
3/19/2018 2:07:38 AM reply with quote send message to Steph Object to Post

I am so sorry. She was a beautiful girl.

-----
Last edited by Steph on 3/19/2018 2:08:03 AM
 Intrinsicc
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/26/2018 1:31:23 AM reply with quote send message to Intrinsicc Object to Post

I am so sorry for your loss. I remember your stories of her as a pup and her showing. Thanks for sharing your tribute to her here.
 GraceInGlory
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/30/2018 11:56:32 AM reply with quote send message to GraceInGlory Object to Post

I'm so sorry for your loss Krisk, Molly was such a beautiful girl. I've lost 2 dogs at that age too, it's so tragic to lose them young.
Do you have any Molly offspring?
 WishMaker
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/2/2018 9:56:34 AM reply with quote send message to WishMaker Object to Post

I'm so sorry for your loss, especially at such a young age. She was very beautiful. I lost one of my dogs to stomach cancer at 7 years. It was like a sucker punch when I found out.

WishMaker
 Italian landscape
Basic User

Basic User
4/3/2018 3:28:01 PM reply with quote send message to Italian landscape Object to Post

she was beautiful i love german shepherds i had a bicolor im not sure if she was purebred or half the person i got her from the dogs were outside i think she had a male and female german shepherd they lived more in a country type setting my sister worked with her in tomball, texas

-----
Last edited by Italian landscape on 4/3/2018 3:28:53 PM

Replies in this thread : 13

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.