Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 21
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : What is one of your fondest memories on SD?
 BarStar Goldens
Basic User

System.__ComObject
11/3/2017 11:02:16 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Goldens Object to Post   

Since folks seem to think only negative stuff is coming up lately, let's change the tone...

What is one of your fondest memories on Showdog so far?

I was still newer to the game and met lots of great folks through chat. I was trying my damnedest to get my first BIS. On July 4 2006, my chat buddies helped me accomplish my goal not once but twice in the same night.

I was helping Shaningans Irish Setters finish her foundation stock from Amy at Ambition. She let me borrow one of the girls to produce a homebred litter. On July 4 of that year, the pick male from that litter Shananigans Apollo took my first homebred BIS that night.....

As I was sitting in chat, my friend Jennifer who was showing one of the Great Danes I had bred starts messaging me to check the results for another show.... Ch TikiTorch Party Time went BIS in his show.... to become my 2nd BIS homebred.

I was on cloud nine. All the support from my then new Showdog friends helped me achieve those stepping stones in the game.

Will
 BarStar Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
11/3/2017 11:04:14 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Goldens Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Forgot to add.... Looking at my dane's pedigree this morning, He was a great grandson of Naher Anruf von Mitternacht "Reset". The first 100 Dane in the game... that helped prompt one of the game's first resets.

Imagine this was once all tens... www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?name=Ch%20Naher%20Anruf%20von%20Mitternacht hahaha

Will

-----
Last edited by BarStar Goldens on 11/3/2017 11:04:59 AM
 El Dorado
Basic User

Basic User
11/3/2017 12:03:36 PM reply with quote send message to El Dorado Object to Post

Great topic. Will

Yes- Reset was quite a Dog!

The best memory that I have of this game is when my first homebred German Shepherd got his Championship title (thanks to Darkwild)

CH El Dorado Storm Warning
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=1576024

His sire was the great
IBIS CH UD BaciBoyAristocrat

Storm Warning is still listed at #30 in the GSD all time list, and he is still probably in some of the current dogs pedigrees.

Those were fun times!
 El Dorado
Basic User

Basic User
11/3/2017 12:12:53 PM reply with quote send message to El Dorado Object to Post

Also, I mustn't forget about my other GSD since coming back to the game...

GCH El D Brave New World*****
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=15567464

A big thanks goes out to Gallaxy for finishing and campaigning him!...He also has quite a few offspring out there.
 Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
11/3/2017 2:38:17 PM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

This bitch of mine will always be special, she was my first BIS winning boxer and got her Gold Dam on top of it, she was my first homebred Gold Dam in any breed on SD.

She sat on the all time GCh. points list for quite a long time too.

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=10891410

Edited to Add- I too remember Reset... that was quite a time. I'd almost be ok with another one... it's kind of fun happy :)

-----
Last edited by Summerwind Kennels on 11/3/2017 2:38:50 PM
 Blue Moon Collies
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/3/2017 4:13:02 PM reply with quote send message to Blue Moon Collies Object to Post

I started way back in 2004 when most of the founders of the breeds were still playing. I still miss FDK, Amenit, Bonz etc. Chat used to be so full it sometimes couldn't accommodate us all.
Will, I think I remember you from chat & is the Jennifer you referred to Chiaha? If so, she and I were really good friends.
We had great times but we had our spats too lol. I remember shelties being particularly contentious.
I've always been in collies but dabbled in Spinones, Scotties, R&W Setters, Westies & Cavies.
I was here for the first reset and omg how we hated it lol. I was also here for the big SD migration. We nearly lost our minds without the chatroom but we found alternate places to meet.
Celeste
Edited to add: I REALLY miss Skipwall and her little program that calculated our dogs SOP!

-----
Last edited by Blue Moon Collies on 11/3/2017 4:47:27 PM
 Kalynda
Basic User

Basic User
11/3/2017 4:16:13 PM reply with quote send message to Kalynda Object to Post

Ooh - great topic that brings back great memories! Reminds me why I keep playing.

I am gonna saw my first SDWC BIS was pretty darn good!

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=4799846

www.showdog.com/shows/show_results.aspx?show=April%202007%20Showdog.com%20World%20Cup

Mendie Menzie popped up as a Specialty judge recently and I had been trying to remember why she was familiar!

K

-----
Last edited by Kalynda on 11/3/2017 4:18:07 PM
 Glittering
Basic User

Basic User
11/3/2017 4:41:00 PM reply with quote send message to Glittering Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Hi

I've been in a lot of breeds, and still am.

I started in Sealyham Terriers after seeing terryterrier winning some BISs. With a lot of help from her I have had some wonderful dogs - Glitter Whirlwind (24th on all time list), Glitter Sirocco (90th on the all time list because she spent more time beating other breeds), Glitter Gibli (8th on all time list), the just retired Glitter Pietys (2nd on the all time list) and now Lisboa Windy Mountains the first male to reach 98 SOP(just above Whirlwind on 23rd). Watching Sirocco and Whirlwind and Pietys hit BIS after BIS and climb up that top dog ladder was just amazing. Seeing Sirocco and Whirlwind in the monthly magazine and their achievements compared to other dogs was great (vale Showdog magazine). The challenges of playing against good players with good dogs is just wonderful. Mind you I could probably do without some of the Borzois that keep bedevilling me at that top level <smile>.

In Pointers I have been able to breed the first 10.0 top neck and back trait, with a lot of help from players like HillEnd and HillShine and Halcyon. Now Pointers are pushing 4 x 10.0 traits on the top row!

I have been around when silkies made it to 94 (well done Ozlok) and have just bred my first one at that level.

Geez I LOVE this game.

-----
Last edited by Glittering on 11/3/2017 6:09:35 PM

-----
Last edited by Glittering on 11/3/2017 6:18:03 PM

Basic User

Basic User
11/3/2017 5:19:49 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

Celeste - Yes It was the same Jennifer indeed. Chat was so great.

Kalynda - I remember Dizzy. I was still working on the foundation of my Wolfie line and my dals were just starting to wind down after going hot and heavy that winter.

Will
 BarStar Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
11/3/2017 5:24:52 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Goldens Object to Post

Glittering -

I think my first BISS was a Sealy named Powers Sensational Bobby.

I think at one point I had some Sealys on the top all time list under my DownLow kennel name.

Blue Oaks and I would battle it out like crazy in the specialties. Soo many good dogs in the game.

Will
 All Star Acres
Basic User

Basic User
11/3/2017 5:55:18 PM reply with quote send message to All Star Acres Object to Post

I love SD! I first played many years ago after seeing an advertisement in Dog Fancy magazine (lol).

I also remember the chat room being full. And I remember those Mitternacht Danes storming the show ring. There were so many real life dogs posted in the forum, I liked a huge Mastiff named Cowboy (I think??) and there was a beautiful Afghan. No idea who the people were that owned them, but I remember the dogs haha

It surprises me the kennel names that still come to mind... trentskennel, LoupGarou, Mitternacht, Kool Dogs, Green Acres, Carnelion, shybade, razmatazza, Ixion...

I can’t remember what I had for lunch yesterday, but I can remember names in a fake dog game from a decade ago!
 Glittering
Basic User

Basic User
11/3/2017 6:11:45 PM reply with quote send message to Glittering Object to Post

Barstar - we corrupted you to Sealys but it didn't take?

Come back for a second try. We can give you some lovely dogs and we'd love the competition!

Besides - you've fallen off the all time list, so time to come back and reinstate your dogs.

-----
Last edited by Glittering on 11/3/2017 6:20:12 PM
 Grasslans
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/3/2017 7:13:01 PM reply with quote send message to Grasslans Object to Post

I'm pretty easy when it comes to making fond memories on SD. I still get really impressed when one of my dogs wins a best in show, or manage to beat over 10,000 dogs. I've only been here for a two years, unlike the majority of players already posted.

Though in saying that, winning a best in show at the SDWC, does take the BIS cake and with a Borzoi no less.
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=15381019
www.showdog.com/shows/show_results.aspx?show=March+2017+Showdog.com+World+Cup

I've also had some massive winners with other hounds.

Plus more recently, after only getting into boxers because I saw a high SOP female for sale that said special's quality... and she was and got me hooked on the breed. She ended up with a silver merit, 6 BIG and 2,000 + all breed dogs beaten and I was pretty impressed with that. Flash forward a year and 6 generations, I learned that boxers could do a lot better than that laugh :D So one of my other fondness memories was just showing this girl -
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=15763606
Smashing her way to platinum Gchampion early, while her brother got his at 119 days. And now they are by far the youngest dogs sitting at #7 and #8 respectively on the all times list for boxers.

There as also been some lovely helpful people I've met here both past and present.
 Ozlok
Basic User

Basic User
11/3/2017 7:18:17 PM reply with quote send message to Ozlok Object to Post

posted by Glittering
Hi

I've been in a lot of breeds, and still am.

I started in Sealyham Terriers after seeing terryterrier winning some BISs. With a lot of help from her I have had some wonderful dogs - Glitter Whirlwind (24th on all time list), Glitter Sirocco (90th on the all time list because she spent more time beating other breeds), Glitter Gibli (8th on all time list), the just retired Glitter Pietys (2nd on the all time list) and now Lisboa Windy Mountains the first male to reach 98 SOP(just above Whirlwind on 23rd). Watching Sirocco and Whirlwind and Pietys hit BIS after BIS and climb up that top dog ladder was just amazing. Seeing Sirocco and Whirlwind in the monthly magazine and their achievements compared to other dogs was great (vale Showdog magazine). The challenges of playing against good players with good dogs is just wonderful. Mind you I could probably do without some of the Borzois that keep bedevilling me at that top level <smile>.

In Pointers I have been able to breed the first 10.0 top neck and back trait, with a lot of help from players like HillEnd and HillShine and Halcyon. Now Pointers are pushing 4 x 10.0 traits on the top row!

I have been around when silkies made it to 94 (well done Ozlok) and have just bred my first one at that level.

Geez I LOVE this game.

Thank you happy :) I have been incredibly lucky with some leap pups and I have some really exciting up and comings.

I have fond memories of the first champ I ever bred on my oldest kennel. She was an amstaff and she came third in world cup- She could have made the top ever list had I known what I was doing laugh :D

I have bred a lot more champions since but some are more special than others. Ones that stick out are
Ozlok Magnetosphere- First ever harrier to get platinum Gch. Was a leap pup at 93.50 (parents were 92.55 and 92.90 irrc) Was my first ever harrier litter too!

SPN Trick or Treat (american foxhound)- Made platinum at 69 days old. Another first for the breed. Also got merit bronze stud which was a great feat for a small breed imo

Bombyx Expecto Patronum (silky terrier)- Another platinum, fantastic show dog. Hoping he may get merit bronze. Topped the toy group listings in September.

My final fondest memory is making a fantastic friend. She no longer plays the game but we still talk happy :)

-----
Last edited by Ozlok on 11/3/2017 7:25:27 PM
 BarStar Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
11/3/2017 9:09:28 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Goldens Object to Post

posted by All Star Acres
I love SD! I first played many years ago after seeing an advertisement in Dog Fancy magazine (lol).

I also remember the chat room being full. And I remember those Mitternacht Danes storming the show ring. There were so many real life dogs posted in the forum, I liked a huge Mastiff named Cowboy (I think??) and there was a beautiful Afghan. No idea who the people were that owned them, but I remember the dogs haha

It surprises me the kennel names that still come to mind... trentskennel, LoupGarou, Mitternacht, Kool Dogs, Green Acres, Carnelion, shybade, razmatazza, Ixion...

I can’t remember what I had for lunch yesterday, but I can remember names in a fake dog game from a decade ago!

Ixion aka Nicole had the real life Afghans...Chiaha aka Jennifer had the mastiffs...

I've lost track of most.

Will
 BarStar Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
11/3/2017 9:11:39 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Goldens Object to Post

posted by Glittering
Barstar - we corrupted you to Sealys but it didn't take?

Come back for a second try. We can give you some lovely dogs and we'd love the competition!

Besides - you've fallen off the all time list, so time to come back and reinstate your dogs.

-----
Last edited by Glittering on 11/3/2017 6:20:12 PM

Glittering -

I still have #6 haha Ch DownLow Desperado laugh :D

Will
 Collegedale
Basic User

Basic User
11/3/2017 10:49:41 PM reply with quote send message to Collegedale Object to Post

I like this thread! I got into the game because my daughter got hooked and it was all she would talk about when I would drive her to work in the morning, so I started with one kennel and had CWC, PWC, a Clumber, and a Skye....well then I crossed over to the dark side and got into premium memberships and the rest is history. When I got my first BIS with a PWC, it was so exciting....and since then there have been a number of them in my kennels...so many good folks have helped me and shared dogs, and I must say the Sealyham folks are great and awesome cheerleaders! I try to do that with others too. The other day in my Mustardville kennel I got my first Cardigan Welsh Corgi BIS and it was a "dream come true" as my real live breed is cardi's. I have appreciated everyone's help, and if anyone is looking for breeds that i have, let me know and I will be happy to get people started with good dogs. Great game! Shannon
 BarbieDreams
Basic User

Basic User
11/4/2017 9:43:16 AM reply with quote send message to BarbieDreams Object to Post

I've probably been in this game close to when it started.But most dogs aren't able to be found prior to 2008.
But I started with 2 main breeds,first was Maltese since back before the problems or at least the knowledge we have now,we bred AKC Champion Bloodline Maltese at the beginning of the 90's.Slowly after a bad experience with a out of state handler causing a legal ordeal for us over a co-owned beautiful boy,we followed that nightmare by breeding only great Show/Pet pups.We loved the whole process of bettering the breed and creating wonderful babies shown or owned by equally enthusiastic people.On Showdog the first and closest to my heart kennel was primarily Maltese.After getting the ALL TIME #1 Maltese (and holding that space until this year,other breeds that family members have interested me so being my sister has had Danes for 30 years I opened my 1st Great Dane kennel:
www.showdog.com/general/user_information.aspx?user=BigDreams
Followed by a Show quality Dane kennel:
www.showdog.com/general/user_information.aspx?user=Loyalty_Lane
Reset happened shortly after and many of my best Danes were through CH Rerun von Mitternacht
But now I'm finally getting somewhere in Danes,
I now have 12 100% SOP Danes between 3 days old-11 days old
I've always said I'm much better at breeding than Showing,especially competitive breeds but these might be kinda fun!
Side Note:I looking for another breed that's getting close to 100%,I just love the challenge of working on hammering the traits until they're hard 10's!
Sincerely,Barbara
 Lunatic
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/4/2017 5:15:57 PM reply with quote send message to Lunatic Object to Post

I've played on and off since 2005 in various kennels and various breeds. Had 30 kennels at one point, then had to drop to one eventually, now 12 years later I'm back up to five, haha.

The one dog who really stands out for me is this guy:
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=3245830

Small potatoes compared to most of the others mentioned here but he did very well for me.

I've also really enjoyed my breed a champion in every breed project that's been going since 2012 in this kennel. I only have 18 breeds left to go!
 BarStar Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
11/4/2017 9:10:38 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Goldens Object to Post

Lunatic,

I think I remember your AWS. Everyone has different focuses in the game and each goal met is fulfilling.

I did the ch in every breed thing for awhile. I lost track.... I am pretty sure I atleast finished one in every breed.

That challenge has to be pretty tough now with some of the breeds being so inactive.

Will
 Lisboa
Basic User

Basic User
11/5/2017 1:59:59 AM reply with quote send message to Lisboa Object to Post

You know the best thing about this game?

It's not the dogs. It's not the wins. It's the people.

We have some great people. Occasionally someone not so great sneaks in, but we tend to overwhelm them and they either become great people or wander away to be small people somewhere else.

I have made some wonderful friends in this game.

Replies in this thread : 21
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
A specialty show may be regional or national. A "Best in Show" win at a national specialty show is tremendously prestigious, indicating that the winning dog or bitch triumphed at a contest which attracted entries from the most serious fanciers of that breed in the country or continent. Some specialty shows attract international entries.