Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 13

Author Topic : Overlimit restrictions
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
10/15/2017 2:27:12 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post   

Ok, I admit I have this issue fairly frequently these days and I know I should keep a better handle on things but . . .

Real life frequently gets in the way and pups are born and grow up and I don't always have the time to do a thoughtful cull but I can stick a few dogs in shows so the breed is represented and there is some competition for others - I'm in a number of breeds that have only myself and perhaps one or two others. I also have a few colour variety projects too.

So, I'm ok with not being able to breed and not being able to buy - these just make the problem worse. I have the money. Can I not please continue to spend it on show entries while I whittle away at the population? Dogs eventually age-out so it's not a forever thing, being overstocked and still showing, since I still can't add any dogs until I get within the limits.

Now, I've got a long history with the game so I'm not likely to leave but perhaps others, not so dedicated might finding that due to indecision/time constraints (whatever the cause) they now can't do anything so they start not logging in everyday to check results and then they start forgetting to log in at all.
 Kalynda
Basic User

Basic User
10/15/2017 2:45:56 PM reply with quote send message to Kalynda Object to Post

Good idea!
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/15/2017 9:07:00 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

Agree 100%
 Aussiewolfsister
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/16/2017 2:38:07 AM reply with quote send message to Aussiewolfsister Object to Post

Totally agree happy :)
 BarStar Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
10/16/2017 10:50:10 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Goldens Object to Post

Jeff added the 5 additional slots you can purchase.

Managing resources which includes apace is part of the game.

We've already eliminated the financial limitations within the game with the daily login bonus and extra sessions.

If we keep adding extra hacks, eventually the game will run itself. :P

Will

Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2017 1:20:51 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

Not sure that I agree. To have more than 35 dogs and still show can give a huge advantage because there are so many dogs to choose from for a particular show/judge. Show stacking could get out of control?
I understand that you're not wanting this to gain an advantage over others, but some players would!

I think it might be discouraging to new standard players with smaller bank balances. They could not afford to feed and session so many dogs, while they are probably breeding lots too, to try and get top competitive dogs.

What Is like to see are more ways to make our. " kennel work" quicker.
Like being able to FH a whole litter with one click!
On the session page: to have the dogs food ration showing would save me so much time, checking whose getting what
A judge calculator..to give a rough idea of which judges would like that dog? Not definitive. Can some genius make one available???
A Notes box at top of the kennel page, not the account page, to remind of important events.

There must be lots more..

Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2017 1:23:11 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

The above post was mine..timed out
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/17/2017 11:33:37 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Well, I understand and respect the non-supportive comments made on this suggestion, and appreciate the supportive ones too, however I think the biggest challenge to ShowDog and its sister games these days is player retention.

I confess I have never liked the implementation of the expansion slots. Being a committed player if I had 35 slots I'd fill them all and still be over from time to time. One of my kennels had 96 a while ago although I have pared that one down to 60 or 70. This however is not an active showing kennel but a colour project. I would be more willing to pay a ($5) fee for a 30 day permit to have an extra 5 dogs, 10 dogs, etc. I would still have to address the problem but it would allow me a little extra needed time. Plus I think Jeff would get more money out of me in the long run (lol). Thus, I will not add the permanent slots.

On player retention, if I am not able to deal with the population and unable to do anything (ie show) and if I were a less committed player I am more likely to just say to heck with it, I don't have time for this. As long as I can show my dogs I am still getting value for my subscription cost. Recognize that at most I can show a dog for 116 days. In 30 days my last litters will be fully sessioned and of breeding age. After 30 days I will not even have sessioning to do.

I believe we have already discussed and agreed that having the Logon Bonus and the 48 sessions has been good for ShowDog. We have made up for some of the membership loss by having the remaining members more active. I see this as just another step in that direction.
 BarStar Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
10/18/2017 8:24:59 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Goldens Object to Post

Star Shine does make a good point.

Some users are already overentering to build up easy majors.

Increasing the dog count will only make that worse as well.

The point schedule will only get worse.

Will
 Rossett Spaniels
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/19/2017 2:57:57 PM reply with quote send message to Rossett Spaniels Object to Post

I have 35 spots in Clwyd Cockers but haven't been back up there for awhile.
In my Source Breeding kennel I am at 35....must have that many...doesn't affect the shows.

In this kennel I have 35 but presently have 38.

I didn't want to steal this thread but does anyone know how soon the "Kennel Police" do their sweeping out of any dogs you have gone over?
 Alibi
Basic User

Basic User
10/19/2017 3:26:29 PM reply with quote send message to Alibi Object to Post

I didn't think the "dog sweeper" took dogs from paid kennels, only basics... i could be wrong but I thought the reason paid kennels lost privileges was because they didn't lose their dogs... not sure though
 BarStar Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
10/19/2017 6:59:19 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Goldens Object to Post

When you go overlimit, dogs are only removed from Basics.

Premiums keep all their dogs but can't enter shows, buy dogs, or breed until back under limit.

Will
 Rossett Spaniels
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/20/2017 12:55:52 AM reply with quote send message to Rossett Spaniels Object to Post

Thanks.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
10/23/2017 7:29:11 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

For me I don't like the ideA, the game is ment to be strategy based, you need to manage your money, space, feeds, breedings, entries ect to do well. If this element keeps getting chipped away there will be no point, we have lost the need to manage money with the login bonus, we have lost the need to manage showing with the extra sessions, if we then lose the need to manage space what will be taken away next the need to manage breedings?

It's not hard to just forever home some dogs to get below the limit, if you don't have time just pick them based on age or sop untill u have more time.

I've been playing this game a long time, back when it was harder and it was much more enjoyable and active back then, it seems as its been made easier and easier it's losing its appeal.

-----
Last edited by PPvallhunds on 10/23/2017 7:29:38 PM

Replies in this thread : 13

Did you know?
At least two wins must be a set of three or more points ("majors"), under two different judges; at least one additional win under a third judge is also required.