Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : Alaskan Malamute Color Breeding Question
 Aniron
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/10/2017 11:06:28 AM reply with quote send message to Aniron Object to Post   

Hey guys. I would like to breed Blue, Dark Blue and Seal colored Alaskan Malamutes in my kennel to bring them up to show quality. I was wondering if the dark colors work the same way as other colors in the game. Can you purchase a source bitch in the dark colors and breed them to current show quality studs to produce pups with the recessive gene for the dark colors and breed them to other dogs that also have the recessive gene to produce the dark colors in that generation? Or, do you have to breed dark color to dark color?

residential5
Basic User

Basic User
10/10/2017 9:40:17 PM reply with quote send message to residential5 Object to Post

It's recessive so I would buy a source stud and take him to several bitches so you can cross carrier to carrier without having to worry about the inbreeding penalty. Keep a visible from carrier to carrier and make more carriers. Then a visible and so on.
 All Star Acres
Basic User

Basic User
10/10/2017 10:02:06 PM reply with quote send message to All Star Acres Object to Post

Hey there! I didn't look super closely at Malamutes as a breed, but I scanned through a couple kennels to get an idea. I found a litter in one kennel that has a blue/white pup, so the sire carries blue:
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?name=Ch%20Carons%20McGregor

In real life (and this game actually does an impressive job of being realistic) blue color comes into play via the dilution (usually written as D or d) gene. Dogs are either black or brown at their core, but dogs that inherit 2 recessive dilution genes (dd) have their base color "diluted" to a lighter appearance. If you breed 2 females to the stud above, you could then breed the resulting puppies together and produce blue pups.

Hope that helps!

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
In multi-breed and all-breed shows, the winners of all breeds within the kennel club's breed Groups then compete for Group placements.