Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Sessioning Show Dogs
 Lac Lavon Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/9/2017 10:39:37 PM reply with quote send message to Lac Lavon Kennels Object to Post   

So I have noticed that when I click on the days BIS winners, they frequently were recently sessioned in "show obedience" (and only that one, not the other 2 sessions). Is there something to this? Do people continue to session at 20, or does that stat drop over time... ? Just curious!
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
9/12/2017 2:24:58 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

Once dogs are at all 20 for training,condition and coat they won't drop as long as they are not fed Old Boy foods. I don't know anything about obedience classes though.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/12/2017 11:22:59 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Show Obedience is only raised through sessioning.

Condition is only raised through good feed (and time).

Grooming/coat and Muscle/exercise are raised through sessioning and from good food.

In most if not all breeds Obedience is the slowest factor to hit 20 and many dogs are put in shows at 18 or 19.

Good food will raise the affected factors on its own, although it's faster if you can session coat and exercise at the same time.

Many players stop sessioning coat and muscle once the dogs have reached a certain point and concentrate on obedience. While they session obedience the other factors keep rising from the food-effect and they usually hit 20 before the training does anyway.

Many players continue sessioning obedience a few days after it hits 20 because in theory there are decimals that don't show - that first 20 may actually be 19.5. This is why you see more recent session dates on show obedience and not on the other two.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 9/12/2017 11:27:26 AM
 Lac Lavon Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/12/2017 6:47:36 PM reply with quote send message to Lac Lavon Kennels Object to Post

Ok yes, the hidden decimals thing is along the lines with what I was sort of thinking/wondering. Is there a risk that the continued sessioning will push the number over 20 and end up harming the dogs show career?
 gaylanstudio3
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/12/2017 7:55:56 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio3 Object to Post

Over 20? Now that's something I never thought about.

I don't think it happens - I've never seen it. Anyone else with any thoughts on that?
 residential5
Basic User

Basic User
9/13/2017 11:21:43 AM reply with quote send message to residential5 Object to Post

I don't think it hurts but I also think there's a finite number to it. If you can afford it, do it. I stop at a point, but I'm not in the BIS business either.
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
9/16/2017 12:55:02 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

I've seen more experienced players than me sessioning all 20 dogs just before SDWC, so maybe it is a good idea?

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.