Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Emotional Support Dogs
 Hearts Ablaze
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/16/2017 2:40:24 PM reply with quote send message to Hearts Ablaze Object to Post   

Okay, I'm feeling like this may get some negative responses but I'm going to go for it anyway. I just have one question on my mind. What would it take to get my four year old Border Collie certified as my own emotional support animal? I have had social anxiety throughout all of high school and now am going to college, and I would like to be able to take my dog with me to classes so I don't have to stay on campus alone. He's very well-behaved, and sometimes helps calm me down. Is there any way I could do this in a legal way while going to community college? I also have a heart condition that can be triggered by this anxiety, if that helps at all...

Thanks in advance,
Cassie
 Dream Castle Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/17/2017 1:49:36 PM reply with quote send message to Dream Castle Kennels Object to Post

It won"t necessarily get your Border Collie certified,but it probably wouldn't hurt to get your Border Collie his Canine Good Citizen title.It is a step in the right direction. If I am not mistaken,I think that the Delta Society(I think it is called something else now,but can't remember what) reconizes the title
 Kalynda
Basic User

Basic User
7/17/2017 3:47:37 PM reply with quote send message to Kalynda Object to Post

Agree that a CGC or even a Therapy Dog certification will help.

Be careful, there are many for profit organizations that will give you a 'certification', but I am not convinced that everywhere will accept some of those - the websites look sketchy and appear to lack credibility. Note that this appears to vary by country as well.

Assume you already have your doctor lined up to write out her/his recommendation? That will be the first step for any credible organization.

good luck,
K
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/17/2017 3:56:46 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Your doctor might be able to find this out but I'd check up on what the college you had in mind would require. It's likely regulated through some government bureau that deals with access and disabilities regulations I would think.
 Shaylynne
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/17/2017 4:25:34 PM reply with quote send message to Shaylynne Object to Post

*this info applies to the United States*
If you are in another country, I can help find info for you. I run a group for new handlers and I am frequently researching laws.

Emotional support animals are not allowed public access. Only service dogs.

There are psychiatric service dogs, but they must be trained to perform tasks that assist you with your disability. The dog's presence is not enough to qualify it as a service dog.

The online "certifications" are all scams. There is no legitimate registry as service dogs are not required to be registered or certified.

If you want to pursue the service dog path, I recommend speaking with your doctor about tasks the dog could perform to assist you, then finding a trainer to help you.

Lastly, thank you for asking questions before taking your dog out in public. As a service dog handler, I am always glad to see people wanting to do this correctly. happy :)
 Hearts Ablaze
Basic User

Basic User
7/21/2017 1:45:13 PM reply with quote send message to Hearts Ablaze Object to Post

Thank you everyone for all of your support. I promise I'm not getting this so I can just take my dog everywhere, cause I know there are a lot of people who abuse the term "service dog" and just use it to get their dogs into restaurants or just take them places where pets aren't typically allowed. I would be using it to take my dog somewhere where I'm usually spending most of my time alone.

He also does have a CGC. We got it a few months ago from my agility/obedience instructor. happy :)

Would my cardiologist be able to provide a note? I haven't seen him in a while, but I'm just very unfamiliar with the whole process. Also, I wasn't sure if there was any kind of "test" to prove that my dog would be providing me assistance, or just that he has the basic manners to be out in public? Thanks in advance!
 BarStar Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
7/21/2017 6:24:49 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Goldens Object to Post

I would contact Student Accessibility Services at your school and see if they can give you any feedback.

Will

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
A conformation dog show is not a comparison of one dog to another but a comparison of each dog to a judge's mental image of the ideal breed type as outlined in the individual breed's breed standard.