Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Puppy gods hibernating?
 Lisboa
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/11/2017 3:27:49 AM reply with quote send message to Lisboa Object to Post   

Hi

I have multiple litters from multiple breeds over multiple days ... I'm lucky to get 1 breeding bitch out of the lot. Over a week.

How is everyone else going?
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/11/2017 9:09:02 AM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

Not well. In all my kennels the pups have been mediocre at best.
 Temora
Basic User

Basic User
7/11/2017 9:26:49 AM reply with quote send message to Temora Object to Post

Mine are hit and miss. It's a case of one good pup for a few litters worth of FH only pups.
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
7/11/2017 7:00:04 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

It's been a bit all over the place for me - some great, some good, some terrible. I have noticed a lack of 'leap' puppies though - which is curious.
 SilknT
Basic User

Basic User
7/11/2017 7:03:45 PM reply with quote send message to SilknT Object to Post

Have just been told of a leap puppy ...

I'd be happy if mine jumped a little.

Just about to go through about 8 litters and FH the lot.

Perhaps if we sacrificed a judge to the puppy gods?
 Temora
Basic User

Basic User
7/11/2017 7:17:33 PM reply with quote send message to Temora Object to Post

I've had two leap puppies over the last month. Both in breeds that I've not been actively trying to improve. The breeds I've been working on for ages refuse to get better.
 Degree
Basic User

Basic User
7/12/2017 7:17:32 PM reply with quote send message to Degree Object to Post

I've been getting a bunch of nice puppies... with horrible show shines. That will not fly in most of my breeds laugh :D
 SilknT
Basic User

Basic User
7/12/2017 10:30:22 PM reply with quote send message to SilknT Object to Post

I am FHing so many dogs I'm about to be arrested for puppy farming.
 residential5
Basic User

Basic User
7/14/2017 7:39:16 AM reply with quote send message to residential5 Object to Post

Just had a horrible litter, unexpectedly bad.

Terrible SS on all of them, but still were pretty bad even if you take that into consideration.

It was an outcross in a new breed, though.
 ~*Angel*Dreams*~
Basic User

Basic User
7/14/2017 10:55:20 AM reply with quote send message to ~*Angel*Dreams*~ Object to Post

Most of the Maltese players are getting 'leap pups' some up from the mid 87%'s with a singular pup between 88.50-88.70!I haven't had anything over 88.40,yet.
As far as all my breeds,sadly,nothing of note.
 jeevesiesjuniors
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/18/2017 3:20:15 AM reply with quote send message to jeevesiesjuniors Object to Post

not had any good puppies for age just free home them now
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
7/19/2017 12:08:25 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

Getting terrible SS in some breeds for no good reason.But in one breed am getting fabulous leap pups, in another I'm getting good bitches and very disappointing males.
I just have to breed loads of litters to get a few to show and then along comes a litter with 4 stars in it, so hard to decide which to keep.

Keeps us on our toes, lol. If it was too predictable it would be boring
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/19/2017 12:14:46 AM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

Just had 5 litters drop, 80% had SOP 18 and under... makes no sense since pedigree doesn't show up with anyone under 20.
 Flush
Basic User

Basic User
7/19/2017 1:48:26 PM reply with quote send message to Flush Object to Post

Just had another dud litter, all very poor SOP considering the quality of parents and the SS is terrible, 14 dogs on the pedigree, only two with less than 20...a 19.8 and 19.6, but pups had 16/17 SS. Something has changed surely? it used to be only one runt mostly.
 Comic Operetta
Basic User

Basic User
7/31/2017 8:54:48 PM reply with quote send message to Comic Operetta Object to Post

I guess misery really loves company. I just got home after a stay in the hospital to find many litters from my best breeding stock. Tried and true but as I checked over 46 puppies only 3 were up to standard and most were SS 16 thru 19 SS ALL from stock that is 2+ generations 20 SS. What went wrong ? Is this a new challenge or just incredibly bad luck. I see that others have had similar experiences so I am not alone wondering if my breeding strategies have to change. Well good luck to all and maybe next week will bring some wonderful pups.
 Grasslans
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/31/2017 9:47:39 PM reply with quote send message to Grasslans Object to Post

I'm finding that the puppy gods are being nice for keeping your numbers okay, seeing as not many are worth keeping.
 Aussiewolfsister
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/1/2017 8:24:39 AM reply with quote send message to Aussiewolfsister Object to Post

Oh how true Grasslans!!!!!!
 residential5
Basic User

Basic User
8/3/2017 8:27:10 AM reply with quote send message to residential5 Object to Post

I've had more litters lately with bad SS as well. Had one with three generations of 20s that all of them were in the 17s.
 Grasslans
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/5/2017 9:46:07 PM reply with quote send message to Grasslans Object to Post

I must have sacrificed enough puppies to the FH gods, because it seems the puppy gods have been kind. I've got pups better than I've been able to manage for ages across a few kennels.
Or maybe they were just having a good day.
 Flush
Basic User

Basic User
8/6/2017 6:37:52 PM reply with quote send message to Flush Object to Post

Still getting more pups with lower SS than expected but also some very good puppies too, seems to be improving a bit?
 Loch Tay
Basic User

Basic User
8/14/2017 2:04:24 AM reply with quote send message to Loch Tay Object to Post

7 litters dropped today, although I have a couple of nice ones the majority are still so disappointing, with sop way lower than parents and terrible show shine. Two litters with only 2 puppies, doesn't help.

I spend a lot of time working out pedigrees and breedings, seems to be time wasted. Not sure I will renew my family sub. Low sop is one thing but getting 17 SS from a pedigree with all 20's makes future breedings so unreliable, is it worth it?

Replies in this thread : 36
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.