Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 11

Author Topic : Thinking About Breeding Beagles IRL
 Copper Bandit Beagles
Basic User

System.__ComObject
4/11/2017 6:20:05 PM reply with quote send message to Copper Bandit Beagles Object to Post   

Hello,

The last dog breeding sim I posted about this on, I got a hugely negative response, but I'm going to try this again, and see if any breeders (particularly ones specializing in Beagles) had anything positive to say, or advice for me, attempting to start up Beagles.

I am currently waiting on a litter from a breeder about 2 hours away from where I live, his dogs are out of Windy Hills Bluetick Beagles in Kentucky, USA. They are hunting dogs, so they are not primarily bred for conformation, but mainly for their ability to track and chase. The dogs are, and the pups will be AKC registered.

The litter I am waiting on is due between the 13th and the 20th of this month, so if the litter works out, I won't be picking up the puppy until sometime mid-June. As I said, the pups aren't even born yet, so the litter could be born and be all male, or they could die, who knows. If that were to happen, I'd be back looking for a pup.

Anyways, provided this litter does work out, I will be breeding the pup for the first time (on her second heat, or the first heat after she turns two, whichever comes first) to a purebred, AKC registered stud, and, if things work out the way I would like them to, I will be keeping a female pup from the first litter, so that by the time I retire the first dog from breeding (I only plan to breed my dogs 2-3 times), the second pup will be ready to be bred. I might keep a pup from each litter, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it, I guess.

However, I do kind of want to use my 1/2 Beagle male that I have currently as the sire of at least one litter out of my female. Is that ok?

When I am able to move out, I plan to stop breeding these dogs, and start breeding Beagles that are up to the Conformation standard, because I do want to exhibit them in local conformation shows, as well as possibly doing Agility and/or Tracking, but while my parents are cool with me breeding dogs, they aren't exactly on board with me competing with them.

If, however, this litter does not work out, I will be back on the market, and this time I will most likely be looking for better quality dogs, and breed those (were I to get a Beagle that meets Conformation standard, I would NOT breed my mix to her) as well as trying to convince my folks to let me enter them in local shows.

Does anybody have advice? Do you think my plan is ok?
 Crosscroft
Basic User

Basic User
4/11/2017 9:40:26 PM reply with quote send message to Crosscroft Object to Post

Hey there-
I'm just going to rip the bandaid off for ya, I don't think you're going to get a positive response here either. Or anywhere where you are discussing your plan with people who have experience breeding, raising, and showing purebred dogs for AKC events.

My best advice to you is to ask yourself why you are planning to breed your beagle mix to the bluetick beagle girl. When we breed purebred dogs, we breed to preserve the breed (my actual one is ESS), and to improve upon weak areas and enhance already strong ones. Most importantly is temperament and preservation of the breed for the purpose of which it was created. I consider myself quite green and I have been in the sport over 10 years, and still have a LOT to learn from mentors, especially about breeding.

What I would personally do if I was in your shoes would be to wait. Save your money, and do not buy the bluetick beagle puppy. Save your money so that you are able to move out, and then have saved money to buy a quality AKC Beagle from a breeder who will mentor you. Find a good mentor and a good dog and you will have a much better shot at long-term success, and you will know you've bred the best, healthiest beagles you can. I wish you all the best of luck!
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/11/2017 10:36:00 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I agree with Crosscroft.

Breeding to your mix is only producing more mixes. If you want to breed conformation dogs, wait until you can do it properly from the get-go.

I'd skip the hunting X conformation step. I'm not familiar with the breed or the differences between the two types but my guess is that you will take a good many years to get a conformation winner from using that as your foundation.
 chocolateteapot
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/12/2017 11:09:06 AM reply with quote send message to chocolateteapot Object to Post

The world is not short of mongrel puppies - it really doesn't need any more.Please don't add to them.
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/15/2017 2:13:50 PM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

I do not understand why you would want to go through all the trouble and expense of starting to breed an inferior quality dog to just stop what you're doing and start over with better dogs once you can move out in a few years? Save your money, get mentored by experts in your breed, and get the best dog you can first time around. Take the time to learn about the different sports you'd like to do eventually and train for them as much as you can with a quality dog. If your family still has issues with you competing after a couple years, at least you have gained a lot of valuable experience along the way for when you are able to get out there with your dogs.
 Kalynda
Basic User

Basic User
4/16/2017 10:49:46 AM reply with quote send message to Kalynda Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Completely agree with Crosscroft.

Wait. Save your money and get the best dog you can get. You should also neuter your mix breed male as most legitimate, experienced breeders would not sell you a purebred bitch if you have an intact mix breed male at home.

Adding to that thought - it will be more difficult to find a reputable AKC breeder/mentor if you've been playing at breeding mixes or poor quality dogs.

I think you probably already know the right thing to do. Good luck finding a fabulous breeder to be your mentor. Check out the parent club for nearby shows and breeders.

https://www.nationalbeagleclub.org/

K

-----
Last edited by Kalynda on 4/16/2017 10:52:51 AM
 Dream Castle Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/26/2017 3:52:13 PM reply with quote send message to Dream Castle Kennels Object to Post

This is my breed,and I agree with the above posters. Ill go out of my way to encourage new breeders of healthy,registered purebred beagles,but the world has so many dogs now of unknown heritige. I would say if you are wanting to get in to the breed,contact the AKC,UKC, or National Beagle Club.They will gladly help you get in touch with reputable breeders that can help you get into the breed
 Copper Bandit Beagles
Basic User

Basic User
5/15/2017 4:32:49 PM reply with quote send message to Copper Bandit Beagles Object to Post

Thanks.

I have decided to fix my Beagle Mix male (haven't done it yet, but I'm going to) and I'm currently being mentored.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/15/2017 7:34:24 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Good to hear that. Thanks for updating us.
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/16/2017 12:34:10 PM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

Great to hear!
 Comic Operetta
Basic User

Basic User
5/16/2017 4:20:06 PM reply with quote send message to Comic Operetta Object to Post

Until you know a breed inside and out and you are breeding the best to the best you should not be bring more unwanted dogs into this world. If you truly love beagles go and work with a top breeder either in field dogs or show dogs . Learn your lines . Find out about the real breeding. You breed the best to the best and then you pray that a few pups will meet the standard. Breeders rarely make money. The best break even. Breeders do it because they wish to produce the best for their breed. We euthanize thousands of unwanted dos every day in this country and until you truly understand you should not breed any dog or bitch. Please go and talk to top breeders and if you still think that you must breed LIVE dogs apprentice yourself to the best and learn how to breed really great dogs that people line up to buy. Dogs that the breeder is most careful to whom they will sell.
Don't become another puppy mill just turning out any old registered pooch.

PLEASE CONSIDER WHAT YOU ARE PLANNING TO DO
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

Basic User
5/18/2017 3:24:46 PM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post

My feelings exactly CO!! Well said!

Replies in this thread : 11

Did you know?
An obedience trial is a dog sport in which a dog must perfectly execute a predefined set of tasks when directed to do so by his handler