.com Forum · Estrela Mountain Dog

Replies in this thread : 28
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Using Handlers
 Star Shiine
Basic User

System.__ComObject
11/21/2016 11:42:16 PM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post   

this post has been edited 3 time(s)

I am experimenting with judges preferences and so am going to stack a few shows and put a handler on the best one, to see which if any get a group placement.
I won't put handlers on class dogs in shows where others have already entered.From now on, when I do this I will just enter one sex, so others can enter the other. I won't snipe in and top you with a handler!!
I don't want to upset the status quo and really like the fact that this is a no handler breed, but want to find out more about judges.
Comments welcome

-----
Last edited by Star Shiine on 11/21/2016 11:42:58 PM

-----
Last edited by Star Shiine on 11/21/2016 11:44:22 PM

Edited to say ...I won't put handlers on class dogs unless others do. I do like the fact it's a no handler breed I don't want to change anything, just get group placements if I can, when it's not at the expense of others

-----
Last edited by Star Shiine on 11/26/2016 11:51:57 AM
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
11/22/2016 4:38:04 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

It worked, can hardly believe it 2nd in Group! Can I enter a dog alone in a show, and still get BoB and be eligible to compete in the Group.

I don't want to annoy other players or make so many entries that the numbers for points go up.

-----
Last edited by Star Shiine on 11/22/2016 4:38:27 AM
 KRT west
Basic User

Basic User
11/22/2016 9:27:49 AM reply with quote send message to KRT west Object to Post

Great job. Who was the judge? For your information what you are doing doesn't bother me a bit.
 HotSauce
Basic User

Basic User
11/22/2016 10:46:28 AM reply with quote send message to HotSauce Object to Post

Yes, you have a single dog entered and if it takes a group placement and the lower group placements have enough dogs for points, your dog takes the points. So say your dog takes second in group and beats out a Golden Retriever (I know they're not in the same group laugh :D ) The Goldens had enough dogs entered to make a 4 point major. Your dog would receive 4 points because he took 2nd in group when the Golden took 3rd in Group.

At least this is how it was explained to me. happy :)
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
11/22/2016 12:50:45 PM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

Thanks Hot Sauce happy :). KRT ...it was Wilfred Feaster.
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
12/2/2016 10:28:59 PM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

Oh dear, what did I start. I just wanted to see if I could get a few group placements by using a handler on one or two Champions. I had no intention to change the nature of this more or less no handler breed. Sorry. sad :(
 Grasslans**
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/2/2016 10:56:40 PM reply with quote send message to Grasslans** Object to Post

The breed is managing to get a few in group results though which is nice to see.
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
12/3/2016 12:33:14 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

Yes, shouldn't be long before the breed has a group winner, you have so many good dogs out there just now. Maybe I'll put on a no handler speciality.
 Grasslans
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/3/2016 12:49:40 AM reply with quote send message to Grasslans Object to Post

I think there is already a couple of no handler specialties coming up this month? And thank you, there is an array of great dogs across all the kennels, the breed is coming ahead in leaps and bounds right now
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
12/3/2016 10:35:10 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

More the Merrier!
 Valley of Dreams
Basic User

Basic User
12/3/2016 4:39:02 PM reply with quote send message to Valley of Dreams Object to Post

I prefer to use handlers as I like to get Group placements happy :)

I've taken a massive break from showing for the last 6 months or so, and out of all my 15 kennels the only kennel I've just started to show in again is this one happy :)

I've added another 5 handler-free specialties so hopefully that gives everyone a chance to show without handlers in a more recognized format happy :)

I'm more than happy to continue sponsoring as many specialties as everyone likes laugh :D
 Grasslans
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/3/2016 7:08:54 PM reply with quote send message to Grasslans Object to Post

Plus at the moment we already have a few kennels showing and I've got couple of nice pups out with people who wanted dogs to show. So I think ending up showing with handlers was bound to happen some point happy :)
 bloodbear
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/3/2016 8:20:23 PM reply with quote send message to bloodbear Object to Post

Part of the reason I joined Estrelas was because of the no handlers : (

-----
Last edited by Dreisaiah Hundehutte on 12/3/2016 8:20:57 PM
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
12/6/2016 3:19:01 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

I was feeling a bit responsible for getting handlers into the game, but it was only intended to attempt to get group placings with Champions. Now it seems some of the best are being professionally handled and Valley of Dreams is back ( happy :) )in the ring, it's all a bit confusing as to how to proceed!
Shall we set some ground rules for using handlers or do we all want a free for all?
I'd be happy to not use handlers on class dogs. If everyone puts an entry in, the stars will finish quickly and maybe then, they would put in the odd class filler to help others finish?
I am as competitive as any player could be, but want this to stay a happy generous breed where we continue to help each other out.
I know I am new here but I want to stick with the breed, not spoil it for anyone. We can beat each other in the ring, but stay friendly round the ringside?
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
12/6/2016 3:21:51 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

Just to add, it's great that Valley of Dreams is sponsoring specialities but I'm a bit concerned if there are loads of entries that our points requirement for Majors is going to take a leap? I think it went up this month already?
 Grasslans**
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/6/2016 4:18:30 AM reply with quote send message to Grasslans** Object to Post

It actually went down this month back to how it used to be before November (it did go up for that month)It's when people add in huge amounts of dogs that it goes up. Plus we don't (in the amount that gets shown) have really enough dogs to push up the numbers that high.

Though we don't want to be over loading shows either, I know at the moment there seems to be dogs shown in three different shows a day, one mostly being Stars dogs, one being mixed and then I throw my four into a show because I'm a bit lazy lately with the breed. So the sent up of putting dogs across a couple of shows allows for a few different dogs a day to get their points, as well as not having to worry that much about bumping numbers up.

I also highly doubt from what I've seen, that anyone in this breed would ever not be friendly and helpful happy :)

-----
Last edited by Grasslans** on 12/6/2016 4:19:53 AM

Basic User

Basic User
12/6/2016 5:24:08 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

I don't think we should be concerned about the fact that I'm hosting lots of specialties happy :)

Last year in Azawakhs myself and another player hosted an absolute tonne of specialties per month between us - as we were both campaigning dogs for the All-Time list. We would have specialties every single day! happy :) And I don't recall it ever pushing up our Schedule of Points for Majors since Azawakhs was a fairly smallish breed - we only had about 5 breeders showing - similar numbers to Estrela's. :P

I've been around in the breed long before the 'no handler' thing was introduced amongst our current breeders. I don't have anything against the idea of not using handlers, but to be 100% honest I've been playing SD for 10 years and have always used handlers so it's just the way I prefer to play. I like seeing how the breed does at a Group level and eventually at a Show level. By banning handlers you'll effectively put a stop to all potential Group/Show placements. happy :)

Hence why I'm happy to sponsor large numbers of no-handler Specialties for the breed - so everyone gets a chance to show their dogs without handlers on a regular occurrence (especially since we only have 1 handler free judge for all breed shows at the moment). happy :)
 Valley of Dreams
Basic User

Basic User
12/6/2016 5:25:10 AM reply with quote send message to Valley of Dreams Object to Post

^^^ Whoops, that was me. Obviously took too long to type and timed out, LOL :P
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
12/6/2016 6:44:12 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

Good to hear that Grassland** regarding points for majors. I don't even know how many is too many lol, happy :)
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
12/6/2016 3:59:16 PM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

I'm not advocating banning handlers at all, it's up to each individual to decide what to do of course. Isn't it usually only Champions that get Group placements though?
 Valley of Dreams
Basic User

Basic User
12/6/2016 4:16:47 PM reply with quote send message to Valley of Dreams Object to Post

Non-Champions can still get Group and Show placements happy :) It's not as common - but in the competitive breeds it happens frequently.

Here's one of my old Great Dane's that did very well early on even before she titled - getting a Group and a Show placement:

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14771113

And this boy got a 4th in Show at his first show:

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14771114

happy :) Danes were a tonne of fun to show laugh :D

Replies in this thread : 28
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.