Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : Color Genetics
 Gallant
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/15/2016 1:21:35 PM reply with quote send message to Gallant Object to Post   

Hi, can someone explain the actual way to predict color genetics and aim for specific colors? Akitas are the breed in question.
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
9/15/2016 4:03:21 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

Which color/s in particular?
 Gallant
Basic User

Basic User
9/20/2016 8:50:22 AM reply with quote send message to Gallant Object to Post

Trying to move my kennel from silver brindles and whites to red w/ white markings and black mask.

Basic User

Basic User
9/20/2016 1:52:43 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

The short version... if it were me...

1. Breed your bitch
Gallants Fire Red (Red w Blk Overlay, Mask, & White Markings)
(aAy or AyAy) (B*) (C*) (Em*) (kk) (Si*)

to Baymill 14340582 (Red w Black Overlay)

Keep the best two best bitches that meet your criteria – Red with Overlay, Mask & Markings

> This will give you more reds to work with and should bump up your SOP a little bit.

2. Breed those 2 bitches to two different Silver Brindle with Overlay, Mask & Markings studs.

From each litter keep the best male and female that are Red (aya) with Mask and Markings (I’m not sure if you are wanting the Overlay or not?)

These puppies will show brindling, but they will be Kk – so they can produce non-brindled puppies.

You want to end up with 2 boys and 2 girls.
> This step is going to be where you see the SOP move forward.

3. Now you’ll take those 2 boys and 2 girls and breed them back together. I would keep the two best bitches that meet your criteria – Red, (No brindling) (Overlay or not) (Mask) (White Markings)

and then you do it again. Those two girls go to two different Silver Brindle w Overlay, Mask & Markings studs and you just keep repeating.

... and I will add - I'm not the best at color breeding, but I've been doing it for quite a few years now and I have to say there are some parts of the Akita color model that I still can't make sense of wink :)
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/23/2016 1:10:52 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Lilliput! Where are you?

I wanted to confer with you on Basenji colours.

www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=612102

Replies in this thread : 4

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.