Search

.com Forum · Bug Reporting and Suggestions

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : grammar?
 Studio Dogs
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/28/2016 11:35:30 AM reply with quote send message to Studio Dogs Object to Post   

Has a tendency to use dogs handled by certain handlers but isn't overt in it.

Shouldn't that be "and" instead of "but", given that this judge isn't overt.

please correct me if I'm wrong...

Basic User

Basic User
8/28/2016 12:47:55 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

I think either would do.

Has a tendency to use dogs handled by certain handlers but isn't overt in it.

Has a tendency to use dogs handled by certain handlers and isn't overt in it.

Has a tendency to use dogs handled by certain handlers HOWEVER HE/SHE isn't overt ABOUT it.

Has a tendency to use dogs handled by certain handlers HOWEVER HE/SHE isn't OBVIOUS ABOUT it.

AND gets the point across but my interpretation is that the "overt" phase qualifies the "tendency" and the "but" is probably more correct however. The AND suggests another item.

----------------------------
The AND vs BUT in the following seems to infer in one case that it's a good thing and in the other a critism.

Has a tendency to use dogs handled by certain handlers AND is QUICK ABOUT it.

Has a tendency to use dogs handled by certain handlers BUT is SLOW ABOUT it.

How's that for muddying the waters. Isn't the English language interesting. I'd have to do some research before I made a real decision. Even IS vs ISN'T seems to change the tone.

Has a tendency to use dogs handled by certain handlers AND isn't QUICK ABOUT it.

Has a tendency to use dogs handled by certain handlers BUT isn't SLOW ABOUT it.

To get back to the original question, I believe either BUT or AND is grammatically correct however there is a subtle change to the message.

Just an opinion . . . but BUT is better.
 Tarot
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/29/2016 11:43:29 AM reply with quote send message to Tarot Object to Post

Don't even get me started about the errors on this site. I know Jeff has more to worry about than that, but oh my I do cringe a lot...

gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/30/2016 2:55:31 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Personally I'm much more bothered by the folks who do not seem to know the difference between there, their and they're; your and you're; and my all time favourite - THEN and THAN!

And I'm not talking about Jeff whose grammer is fairly good - spelling well, we all make mistakes (lol).

EDIT:
Cough, cough - umm, make that "grammAr". See even I'm not perfect (lol).

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 8/30/2016 3:33:09 PM
 Studio Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
9/1/2016 2:05:41 AM reply with quote send message to Studio Dogs Object to Post

Yea...it just doesn't read well imho. I'm the worst with spelling and grammar, which is why I asked.
Thanks --- basic user laugh :D

Replies in this thread : 4

Did you know?
An obedience trial is a dog sport in which a dog must perfectly execute a predefined set of tasks when directed to do so by his handler