Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 46
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : What Breeds Are You Into? (IRL)
 CountryStrong Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
2/12/2015 11:12:33 PM reply with quote send message to CountryStrong Kennels Object to Post   

this post has been edited 6 time(s)

Sorry, I know for a fact there's already a thread about this that's out of date, but I need my furbaby fix to stop me from getting a puppy before moving into an actual house (and not the awful apartment in which I'm currently existing). lol

So, I grew up in a AKC breeding/showing household and so throughout my childhood there were many different breeds in my home, including but not limited to as some I can't quite remember, Weimaraners, American Cocker Spaniels, Bloodhounds, Dogue de Bordeauxs, Rottweilers, German Shepherds, American Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Bullmastiffs, Bouvier des Flandres, etc. I also had a Whippet which my dad had gotten for me to do Junior Showmanship, but she ended up being better fit for a lap dog (she was quite small for a Whippet too, barely fit the breed standard). Anywho, I spent a lot of my childhood on the road with my dad at dog shows helping him groom and watch the dogs and socializing with his breeder and handler friends.

Now, as what I can barely call an adult, I am owned by a very spoiled rescue Italian Greyhound/Miniature Pinscher mix named Yoda.

Actually, I'd like to get back into breeding and showing. Preferably in some sort of sighthound (IGs or whippets) or a herding breed (preferably a herding breed), as I fell in love watching these breeds in the ring as a little girl.

So yeah, that's me.

-Audrey

(EDIT: Had to resize the picture, it was way too big... Had to also fix other issues)

-----
Last edited by CountryStrong Kennels on 2/13/2015 12:52:57 AM
 CountryStrong Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/13/2015 12:51:49 AM reply with quote send message to CountryStrong Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

-----
Last edited by CountryStrong Kennels on 2/13/2015 12:52:14 AM
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
2/13/2015 1:55:16 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I grew up with two rescue Danes - they are actually the picture for all my Danes. happy :)

Right now I'm currently kept by two loving 70 pound mutts. Love them to pieces! Tank (blue eyes) and Calvin are their names. Tank actually turned 8 today. happy :)

We also have a cat who will be 9 in July (we got all 3 at different times, but it still makes me laugh they will all be the same age for a few weeks, when Calvin "turns 8 in June" ... I chose his birthday, as he was a side of the highway rescue and our vet believed he was slightly younger than Tank.)

Cannot find any photobucket pictures of her, will update it later. happy :)
 CountryStrong Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/13/2015 7:43:40 AM reply with quote send message to CountryStrong Kennels Object to Post

Aw! I just want to hug and squish Tank, he looks so sweet.
 Wicked Kisses
Basic User

Basic User
2/13/2015 11:26:04 AM reply with quote send message to Wicked Kisses Object to Post

My family has bred and shown Boxers all my life, so they are definitely my heart breed happy :) We currently just have our boy Matt, who is three years old and finished his championship about a year or so ago. My sister owns a white boxer named Tucker who is also part of our family.

I have a soft spot for all the working and herding breeds, and I am planning on getting a Cardigan Welsh Corgi sometime this year. My aunt has an Italian Greyhound named Ziggy who I absolutely adore..besides the fact that he's so fragile hehe.

Taylor
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
2/13/2015 2:56:17 PM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

I have been partially raised around a few different breeds including Shiba Inus, American Bulldogs, Irish Wolfhounds and of course rescues.

Right now we raise and show Irish Wolfhounds, and we own a pair of Black Russian Terriers. We will always have Wolfhounds, they are my heart breed and we are currently looking for our new bitch to add to our lines happy :)

My childhood Shibas are still around, and aging gracefully. I will always have a small dog but it won't always be a Shiba. I feel I have had the best possible one, this is probably just because I grew up with her.
 Small Dog Grove
Basic User

Basic User
2/13/2015 3:15:44 PM reply with quote send message to Small Dog Grove Object to Post

this post has been edited 5 time(s)

Currently I'm owned by a housefull of chihuahuas and mixes thereof. (2 long hairs, one smooth coat, one chi/IG mix, and two "chiweenies"wink ;) They're all rescues. Not deliberately, that's just the way it happened. I've also in the past at various times owned a Smooth Fox Terrier (failed showdog), a boston terrier and a chinese crested, a couple russell terrier mixes, a few more chihuahuas, and a bloodhound. (all rescues)

My favorite breeds are the chihuahuas and the SFT.

Truffles and Yippity
(We'd just gotten back from swimming at the lake)

Pirate

Cricket
(The ear sticking up is why she was a failed showdog)

That's probably enough pics for now. happy :)

*edits to try to fix photos - I give up. *sigh*
-----
Last edited by Small Dog Grove on 2/13/2015 3:16:46 PM

-----
Last edited by Small Dog Grove on 2/13/2015 3:19:29 PM

-----
Last edited by Small Dog Grove on 2/13/2015 3:22:25 PM

-----
Last edited by Small Dog Grove on 2/13/2015 3:27:30 PM
 Austri
Basic User

Basic User
2/13/2015 3:26:49 PM reply with quote send message to Austri Object to Post

this post has been edited 9 time(s)

I currently have four dogs. One Belgian Malinois and three Malinois mixes. My malinois Voodoo is my medical alert dog, but we're also training for agility and he's a lure coursing fiend. The other three are pets and at this point there's no plans to compete with them.

Editing to try to fix pictures. Ugh.

-----
Last edited by Austri on 2/13/2015 3:45:44 PM
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
2/13/2015 5:20:41 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

I work with all breeds but I specialize in poodles. I have a standard ppoodle and a mixed breed 20 pound dog.
 Mistys
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/13/2015 8:31:48 PM reply with quote send message to Mistys Object to Post

"My" breeds are working Border Collies and Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers. What I presently have is 1 BC, 1 Toller, 1 Aussie, and 2 Heeler mixes. I tend to have "slots" I have BC slots, Toller slots and "other" slots razz :p
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

Basic User
2/13/2015 8:43:38 PM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post

Grew up with show and performance Bassets, now involved in show and performance with Cairns and Dandies
 Pearl City
Basic User

Basic User
2/13/2015 10:20:24 PM reply with quote send message to Pearl City Object to Post

Right now, I'm into no breeds. I'm currently in the mist of trying to find the right breed. Which seems to be almost impossible for me. It's either between a Eng. Cocker Spaniel or a Chow Chow. Both got good point and bad points about them and I'm trying to decided what I can live with and without. Ugh. So hard. I want them both... sad :(
 Grandeur Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/14/2015 3:08:33 AM reply with quote send message to Grandeur Kennels Object to Post

I adore American Staffordshire terriers. I currently have a 3yo pedigree blue male by the name of "General"(previous owners name for him) would love to be one a registered breeder in future and show them
 chocolateteapot
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/14/2015 10:44:56 AM reply with quote send message to chocolateteapot Object to Post

German Shepherds are my heart dogs, close second Australian Cattle dogs (both breeds for both show and work)I also have labradors for fun, and am currently searching high and low for a cocker show pup - good ones being hard to find!
 Pearl City
Basic User

Basic User
2/14/2015 12:28:46 PM reply with quote send message to Pearl City Object to Post

posted by chocolateteapot
German Shepherds are my heart dogs, close second Australian Cattle dogs (both breeds for both show and work)I also have labradors for fun, and am currently searching high and low for a cocker show pup - good ones being hard to find!
Am. Cocker Spaniel has the most cut throat competition out there. If its worth the while and you have a good laugh, it might just be right for you, scene wise. I prefer Eng. Cocker Spaniel any day.
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
2/14/2015 3:48:25 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

posted by Pearl City
Am. Cocker Spaniel has the most cut throat competition out there. If its worth the while and you have a good laugh, it might just be right for you, scene wise. I prefer Eng. Cocker Spaniel any day.

I agree. It really does depend on what color you get in American Cockers. The blacks are SUPER competitve. Partis are the least. But I think it's really hard because most cockers are under professional handlers.
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
2/14/2015 6:35:00 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

I spent a lot of time under a dachshund breeder/mentor and finished more dachshunds (mostly wires) than I can count.
I then worked for an all breed handler for 6 years or so and got to handle several other breeds, mostly sporting dogs.

I still have my two dachshunds, one long and one wire, and also have a German Wirehaired Pointer, my breed of choice.

I love my dachshunds to death, but I'm definitely more or a sporting dog person!
I've posted pictures of my dog before but I'd be happy to post again happy :)

Lacey (mini long) and Eli (mini wire) are now 8 and 10!

Callie (GWP) is 2.

Phlossy
Basic User

Basic User
2/14/2015 7:25:18 PM reply with quote send message to Phlossy Object to Post

this post has been edited 6 time(s)

Currently I own & exhibit boxers, but I came to realize about a year ago that my heart just isn't in the breed. I'll probably have a boxer or two for the rest of my life, but I don't want to actively breed and campaign them forever. I started a mentorship about a year and a half ago with a tibetan spaniel breeder, and I absolutely adore the little dogs. I'm looking into the possibility of getting one of my own this year sometime, and I'm super excited!

(I give up trying to add pictures)

-----
Last edited by Phlossy on 2/14/2015 7:31:23 PM
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
2/14/2015 8:37:18 PM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

I forgot to add that I handle for other Irish Wolfhound owners, have handled a Briard and for other Black Russian Terriers. Trying to get more clients right now.
 chocolateteapot
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/15/2015 9:35:28 AM reply with quote send message to chocolateteapot Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by Pearl City

lol yep - I didn't mean the American version!! lol (I'm in England)

-----
Last edited by chocolateteapot on 2/15/2015 9:36:49 AM
 S. B. G. Chow Chows
Basic User

Basic User
2/15/2015 5:55:50 PM reply with quote send message to S. B. G. Chow Chows Object to Post

Its all in my name,... they are my past present and will be my future. I currently have 2 retired male Bahamian Champions.

Replies in this thread : 46
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

The Kennel Club (UK) system, which is also used by the Australian National Kennel Council[1] and in other countries, is considered the most difficult to earn a title under.