Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 13

Author Topic : Pain Meds Post Neuter/Spay
 Templar Knights
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/28/2010 12:10:05 PM reply with quote send message to Templar Knights Object to Post   

This is the first time we are spaying/neutering a dog ourselves (not adopting already neutered).

We have the option of getting additional pain meds to take home for post-op. Now I am wary of unnecessary meds due to past experiance, so I was wondering what general opinion is. The dogs will get an injected pain killer prior to coming home so they do get something.
 Fantasias
Basic User

Basic User
12/28/2010 12:22:25 PM reply with quote send message to Fantasias Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

You will want it, especially for a spaywink ;) I had a bitch spayed a couple years ago, it didn't really bother her much, but I did give her pain meds for a couple days just to get her over the initial pain.

I had Liver spayed a couple months ago, she was just going out of heat and had the beginning stages of pyometra (not visibly sick yet) and she was in very bad pain for the first two dayssad :( She got a 25mg of tramadol every 6 hours, it helped her out tremendously!

The boys I've had neutered were really not in pain at all, but I still gave them the tramadol for the first daywink ;)

I guess it depends on the dog, each of them have different tolerance levels, but I would definitely take the meds home in addition to the injectable they will get no matter what post opwink ;) You don't want the injectable to wear off in the middle of the night and have nothing else to give them! Better safe than sorryhappy :)

Wendy
 LoupGarou
Basic User

Basic User
12/28/2010 12:29:00 PM reply with quote send message to LoupGarou Object to Post

I usually keep baby aspirin on hand for pain meds. If your vet keeps your dog overnight for a routine neuter and sends your male dog home having been injected with painkiller, that should be enough--routine neuters typically heal pretty quickly and after a couple of days none of my neutered dogs even knew they'd been neutered.

Spays are generally a bit more pain intensive since they are more invasive than neuters. If the vet wants to send your female dog home with painkiller, I'd say to ask him or her for as mild a dose as will be needed and to give it as seems needed.

This is all my personal opinion, of course, based on observation of my dogs that have been spayed and neutered and based on my personal preference over pain medication. Other people will have other opinions based on their own knowledge or observations.
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
12/28/2010 12:40:21 PM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

A lot of it also depends on the quality of the surgeon doing the spay as well as the individual dog. I would take the meds but give as needed.

When our dog was spayed she got dissolving stitches so we didn't even have to go back to have them removed.

grif,
 Squiggels
Basic User

Basic User
12/28/2010 1:45:33 PM reply with quote send message to Squiggels Object to Post

My girl was spayed at 6mo and she was active as ever the next day. Of course we had to keep her crated which she was not happy about but did not seem to be in pain. We got the pain meds but didnt use them.

I have heard that older dogs take more time to recover. If you live close to your vet you could always not get them, and if it seems like she is in pain go back to the vet to get them. If they are farther away, I would get them just in case.
 Templar Knights
Basic User

Basic User
12/28/2010 2:00:30 PM reply with quote send message to Templar Knights Object to Post

Thank you for the advice!

They are both about 6 yrs old, male and female lab.

I think we will definitly get some pain meds for her and we will consult with the vet for what they think is needed for him.

misty crazy
Basic User

Basic User
12/28/2010 6:28:30 PM reply with quote send message to misty crazy Object to Post

its really up to you, I never give pain meds after a spay/neuter, I have had a LOT of dogs fixed at all kinds of ages(Electra was 4 Misty was 7), I have NEVER given pain meds, and I have never had an issue. I feel it is not needed and in fact dangerous..just one more thing that could cause a bad reaction, one of my dogs almost died from Matacam(the pain killer they will give you) and had she been trying to recover from surgery at the same time she would have died.
 Wildsyde
Basic User

Basic User
12/28/2010 9:40:49 PM reply with quote send message to Wildsyde Object to Post

I don't usually do pain meds for myself or for dogs. Have had one dog get kidney failure due to such. Pain is often there for a good reason too, to keep you from overdoing it. However, I don't object to a pain shot for the dog and pills for perhaps a day or two after (since they're not me to have the choice!).

I think asprin would be contradicted with any surgery that could involve bleeding since it thins the blood. Maybe well after healing has started, but not right after when things still can pop open.
 Crow2008
Basic User

Basic User
12/28/2010 11:26:56 PM reply with quote send message to Crow2008 Object to Post

I am a vet tech and work at a Spay and Neuter Center.

We ALWAYS give dogs pain meds to go home for 3 days. While they're with us, (puppies or adults), if they whine or cry and behave in pain, we give them morphine, and other pain meds, like Ketamine and sometimes if they're in real pain we even give them something to calm them down, like Diazepam(valium). We send them home with Tramadol, but not cats.

The cats get a shot before they go home.

Puppies almost never REQUIRE pain meds, but we always send them home with them anyway, some dogs are more painful than others, and older dogs are always more painful than all others.

Metacam is a controversial pain medication right now, as it can cause a whole lot of other problems so we do not use it anymore.

Tramadol is a very good pain medication, and causes almost no side effects, and it should be pretty safe short term. Since you're using it only for 3 days, the pros overcome the cons.

for a 6 year old dog, I would most definitely get pain meds, as they are large dogs AND older, both for the male and the female.

I would also reccomend an Elizabethan(spell?) collar for the male dog at least, which is the "cone of shame" or "cone". Male dogs will lick and chew on themselves "because they can" and a dog can destroy his incision in less then 30 seconds, I have seen it happen.

Also, for both dogs, as we all know, they should be kept quiet and calm for at least 3 to 4 days, more if possible.

if a male dog is too active after surgery, specially a large mature dog, their "empty sack" (scrotum) can fill with fluid and cause the "grapefruit" effect, almost always requiring more surgery and the removal of the whole scrotum. This surgery is called "scrotal ablation", if you would like to research.

Of course, Im not a veterinarian and these are all my opinions. This is mostly what we do at our clinic, but there will always be different dogs that require different treatment. but as a rule of thumb, this is what we do with our patients.

But with your male being mature and large, I would be really careful with him after surgery.

And the female probably needs the pain meds for sure.

good luck
 Templar Knights
Basic User

Basic User
12/29/2010 7:11:45 AM reply with quote send message to Templar Knights Object to Post

We did end up getting Tramadol for both Maggie and Bear. The vet said definitly for Maggie as the surgery was more invasive and for Bear probably since he is older and larger and may not recover as easily.

They are resting quietly in their crates. Such good dogs they are! They are definitly happy to be back.

So now the next step is finding them homes !
 PaulLopez03
Basic User

Basic User
11/14/2017 5:21:48 AM reply with quote send message to PaulLopez03 Object to Post

It isn't sufficient quite recently endeavoring to be care about the dosage, you have to realize what sort of medication you can utilize, and how to dosage the prescription in view of the breed and of build mass.
 Rivacre Gundogs
Basic User

Basic User
11/14/2017 7:12:45 AM reply with quote send message to Rivacre Gundogs Object to Post

This post is 7 years old? I don't think the user is active on this site anymore.
 Just Canaans
Basic User

Basic User
11/14/2017 7:48:39 AM reply with quote send message to Just Canaans Object to Post

I think that all these old posts are answered by new "Robo-Users"...Jeff has to do something about this...Maybe having something like a security code in order to join?...JMO

-----
Last edited by Just Canaans on 11/14/2017 7:49:56 AM
 Gallant
Basic User

Basic User
11/14/2017 11:33:17 AM reply with quote send message to Gallant Object to Post

Got excited thinking an older akita breeder was getting back onto the game, but of course the post is from 2010 *sigh*

Replies in this thread : 13

Did you know?
At least two wins must be a set of three or more points ("majors"), under two different judges; at least one additional win under a third judge is also required.