Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 19

Author Topic : Whelping Box Bedding Material
 Hidaldgo
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/27/2009 3:18:54 PM reply with quote send message to Hidaldgo Object to Post   

Hi all!
I am (or my bitch rather - lol!) expecting my first litter in just a couple of weeks. I was wondering what all you experienced breeders prefer to use in your whelping box for bedding material? I'm leaning towards old towels. My mentor uses a moving blanket that she throws away afterwards. I've heard newspapers, but also heard that they can be messy.
Thanks!
Hidaldgo
 britti
Basic User

Basic User
12/27/2009 3:39:06 PM reply with quote send message to britti Object to Post

People that I know usually lean more towards newspaper/blankets. Newspaper is soft and soaks up any liquids from the birth for the first few days, and then blankets because they are soft and warm. I suppose there are many things you can use, these are just the ones I've mostly seen/heard.

I'm sure as long as you find something soft and warm, you can get pretty creative :]

britti
 KrazeeFoxx
Basic User

Basic User
12/27/2009 3:47:30 PM reply with quote send message to KrazeeFoxx Object to Post

I birth on a huge stack of newspapers then once birthing is done I move to shredded newspaper with towels over it. ONce I am out of newspaper i just use the towels!

good luck,
i am expecting on 1/12/10
 tomcat1
Basic User

Basic User
12/27/2009 3:58:06 PM reply with quote send message to tomcat1 Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I will never understand how vetbed hasn't made it across the atlantic. www.petlifeonline.co.uk/Store/Dogs/Bedding/Vetbed-Original-Pet-Bedding

FANTASTIC stuff - its like a faux sheepskin sort of bed, which wicks moisture from the surface to the backing, so puppy pee goes to the newspaper below and puppies stay dry - puppy poop can just be spot picked up, and it helps with traction and to prevent swimmers cause its not slippery. It comes in about 10 diff colors, and in pre cut sizes and big rolls - it is chew resistant (I've only known of one dog to be able to shred it and she was a great dane) and its machine washable, dries overnight and is warm but not over heating.

Nope, I don't work for them haha but its fantastic stuff - all the dog beds in my house are vet bed and should I ever buy a whelping box, I will be investing in 5 or so vet beds to custom fit wink ;)

www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40112538 This is pretty similar (sort of a knock off version LOL - only diff is it'll be easier to chew and less long lasting - will prob shrink) in the US happy :)
 Wildsyde
Basic User

Basic User
12/27/2009 4:02:20 PM reply with quote send message to Wildsyde Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

The one thing you have to worry about with towels or similar non-tacked down materials is a pup getting caught up under/inside the folds and smothered/laid on.

My whelping box setup is linoleum botton for easy cleaning. Wood sides with a 2x4 bumper bar. Then for bedding for new pups I have a big pegboard, as big as I could while still getting it to fit down in the whelping box past the bumper bars. This board is covered with garbage bags duct taped solidly closed for easy cleaning of the board. Then, I have a "board case" made of fake sheepskin that goes over the board exactly like a pillowcase. The open end of the case is either velcroed shut or tucked under the board end. Pups can't get stuck under it. You can slip a heating pad into it. Provides good footing for pups. It absorbs icky stuff nicely, and is easy to take off and throw in the wash. Two were enough to alternate tho probably 3 would have been better.

Later on, after 5 wks of age, I used to use pine shavings. Another Pem breeder/vet says NO to shavings before 5wsk as the pups don't have the proper blink response yet to get shavings out of their eyes. Shavings were great! Unfortunately I became very allergic to them and my eyes felt like sandpaper. When the whelping box is in your bedroom, this doesn't work too well.

The next litter I used newspaper torn into 1-2" strips after a bit. I swear this made their poop too accesible as the buggers turned into bad poop eaters. Tho maybe it was just their genetics, dunno.

Cedar shavings are NOT good, they have little microsplinters that will get stuck into skin and other things very well. I've had to work with cedar enough to know that's bad stuff!
 Grandiose
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/27/2009 4:23:29 PM reply with quote send message to Grandiose Object to Post

I used the Vet-bed type stuff with my litter. LOVED it...had 2 sets and switched them out, so one was being washed and one was being used. Once the litter was out of the box I used them as crate pads. Deep, thick fleece that the dogs loved (and a certain Pointer that was born on it loved to EAT, so only have one left...)
Liquids drain straight through, and it dries quickly, so babies arent laying on wet, potty filled bedding.

You can order it in the US here: www.whelpwise.com/testing/whelping-supplies.html

Thats actually where I got mine from. Awesome people to work with, and the cheapest supplier I have been able to find. Everyone else wants waaaaayyyyyyyy too much for it.
 Tollers N Terriers
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/27/2009 4:27:02 PM reply with quote send message to Tollers N Terriers Object to Post

I buy plain newsprint (paper with nothing printed on it) to use in the whelping box before and during the birth. The bitch likes to have something to dig in and tear up. After the puppies are born, I line to box with several layers of clean newsprint covered with faux sheepskin with velcro to hold down the corners. I have two of these pads so one is always clean when the other is being washed. It works well for us.
 Stampede
Basic User

Basic User
12/27/2009 4:37:54 PM reply with quote send message to Stampede Object to Post

Vet Bed is one of my favorites! Took me a while to get any because of the cost (and have never used it at the time) but once I bought some...

I actually have some in each pet crate here, and my rabbits use it almost exclusively.
 honcho
Basic User

Basic User
12/27/2009 4:59:48 PM reply with quote send message to honcho Object to Post

For the whelping itself we use sheets, we are right there with them so we dont worry about anyone getting caught underneath or tangled. After the puppies have all arrived we use the vet bed stuff. I love it the puppies have never got their nails or anything caught up, but we do trim nails every couple days do thats not really a huge risk to us. as they get older we put a variety of different things in with them, dog beds, kids play mats and towels so they get use to different surfaces... At about 4-5 weeks depending of it they are labs or springers they are moved upstairs into the puppy pen and half the pen is newspaper and the other half is kennels, beds and toys.
 Hidaldgo
Basic User

Basic User
12/27/2009 7:26:47 PM reply with quote send message to Hidaldgo Object to Post

The vet bed stuff looks interesting. My one concern is that it might be too warm for the pups and mom, I have Akitas, and my breeder friends are telling me I need to make sure they don't get too warm so mom doesn't start to dig the bedding too much. The vet bed description says it has great heat retention...

Thanks everyone for all the replies and suggestions!!

Another question, I think we're making a plywood box, do I have to paint it??

Thx!!

Hidaldgo
 honcho
Basic User

Basic User
12/27/2009 8:11:46 PM reply with quote send message to honcho Object to Post

posted by Hidaldgo
The vet bed stuff looks interesting. My one concern is that it might be too warm for the pups and mom, I have Akitas, and my breeder friends are telling me I need to make sure they don't get too warm so mom doesn't start to dig the bedding too much. The vet bed description says it has great heat retention...

Thanks everyone for all the replies and suggestions!!

Thx!!

Hidaldgo

Ours is painted.Make sure you have guards as well so she cant squish puppies against the sides! I dont know if you use heat lamps or not but I was finding that I wasnt needing to use it with the vet bedding material only every now and then. I do know of people who use the green astroturf stuff overtop of a cut fitted peice of carpet in the box as well. You want a couple peices, they can be taken out and rinsed in the tub. I do swear by the vet beds though! I'll never use anything else.
 WeimsRus
Basic User

Basic User
12/27/2009 10:57:45 PM reply with quote send message to WeimsRus Object to Post

posted by Hidaldgo

Thx!!

Hidaldgo

You have to seal the plywood in some manner so it will not soak up moisture, otherwise it will not be cleanable and will start to smell bad. I was going to make my own and most people do, but after looking at the cost of materials, time, and tools needed to make one I decided this was my best option.

www.breederbase.com/

I did have the tools. Go price a 4x8 sheet of plywood, hardware, gallon of some type of wood sealant, the time to make it, plus a 4 foot by 4 foot whelping box made of this is going to be heavy and hard to store for the next litter. Never had any regrets about buying the DuraWhelp. Easy to clean, store, and one person can move it easily. If you are wondering about durability, it worked well for my last litter of 9 Weims. The only issue I had was the Dam knocked the door off shortly after the pups started getting big enough to escape without the door in place. I just turned the door tword a wall and had no other problems until the little buggers could use the pig rail to climb out. It is not stable enough to be used without them.

We use news papers under old blankets and pick these up at second hand shops and estate sales.

It's all for the breed, Weims.
 Wildsyde
Basic User

Basic User
12/27/2009 11:23:39 PM reply with quote send message to Wildsyde Object to Post

I'd just be veeeery careful about paint type.

Check them out for safety and use near pups, since they're going to be so young with such small lungs next to it, and will be chewing on it and probably consuming some when they get older. I'd go to a paint store that specializes in paint where they know their stuff and have a good selection of types, instead of a big box store where they don't know as much.

Paint well before whelping so any fumes have time to evaporate off (that's more than just drying time, if you can smell it, something's coming off). Ie a month before would be good.

Wayward Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/28/2009 7:43:17 PM reply with quote send message to Wayward Kennels Object to Post

Re Vet Bed

On the plain backed type I have never found the puppies get too hot but if you have a coated breed I would stay away from the rubber backed (non-slip) varieties for the whelping box.

The plain stuff is wonderful as all liquid just drains through......... I put lino down then newspaper then vetbed on top and the newspaper soaks any liquid up leaving the vet bed snuggly warm and dry. Cold wet bedding is more of a concern for puppies and I have never found they overheat with the plain backed vet bed.
...... it is so easy to wash too, I just had two lots and shoved it in the farm machine, dries really quickly too and stops the ink on the paper getting onto the puppies coats.
As the puppies get older and I make the croft pen bigger I start leaving the newspaper one end uncovered as a toilet area and once they have a clearly defined sleeping area they soon cotton on where to go and where not.

Admitedly i have a shortcoated breed but I have never had to wash dirty puppies and even a litter of 13 have stayed reasonably clean though with larger litters you'll find the paper and vet bed needs to be changed more often.

I found the proprietry whelping boxes a complete waste of money.... I just put up retainer walls to stop the pups crawling away from momma too far that she can easily step over for a break large enough an area for her to stretch out and feed on her side.
Some people advocate pig rails around the edge to try and stop the bitch laying on puppies but I tend to stay with for at least the first 24 hours which is the most vulnerable time.

During whelping I used safe bed which can be scratched up and rearranged as much as the bitch likes.

My other favourite pieces of equipment are my croft pen and baby scales for weighing pups.
I'm sure more regular breeders will have their own favourites too wink :)
 WildCard
Basic User

Basic User
12/29/2009 1:14:16 PM reply with quote send message to WildCard Object to Post

thank you for the link i will get some!!!!
 bridget264
Basic User

Basic User
4/20/2017 6:09:06 AM reply with quote send message to bridget264 Object to Post

this post has been edited 5 time(s)

Bedding for Whelping box is the most important thing at the time of delivery of puppies Whelping box bedding makes puppies better place to stay and enjoy the place by providing a soft feeling to the puppies. Visit Here. https://www.caninewhelpingbox.com

-----
Last edited by bridget264 on 4/20/2017 6:13:31 AM
 Runningfire
Basic User

Basic User
4/20/2017 12:35:32 PM reply with quote send message to Runningfire Object to Post

During delivery I use old towels and old bed sheets. I throw it away afterwards. When the puppies are all delivered I use vetbed. I wrap it around a plastic "board" kind of like sheets around the mattress, to avoid the dam making a mess of it and have the vetbed on top of the puppies instead.
 Acclamation
Basic User

Basic User
4/20/2017 11:48:50 PM reply with quote send message to Acclamation Object to Post

I have the old hospital drypads on the bottom and then towels during the whelping which are changed out after each puppy is delivered. Then use sheepskin so puppies have traction after all "the mess" is cleaned up
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/22/2017 6:19:12 AM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

I use the quilted washable pads, but one of these days I'll order some vetbed too.

www.lennypads.com/
 bridget2641
Basic User

Basic User
3/3/2018 7:43:31 AM reply with quote send message to bridget2641 Object to Post

Dogs knowledge sharing is less even if you are true dog owner. every day dog teaches us new things to make the day show real. You can keep such dog breed at a special type of whelping box. i have seen some options on https://www.caninewhelpingbox.com

Replies in this thread : 19

Did you know?
The second obedience title is a CDX, or "Companion Dog Excellent", which is earned through competition in the Open obedience class.