.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 26
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Show Suits?
 Kool Dogs
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/2/2009 1:46:05 PM reply with quote send message to Kool Dogs Object to Post   

Ok so, I was told I need to bring some show suits with me..but there is a problem, ive never had to buy any o.O lol Im not exactly sure what im doing..whats to dressy? not dressy enough? to loud? to soft? haha

I was planning on doing like pant suits and dress pants with shirts..but im not sure what..haha He handles all breeds so im guessing ill need a variety of colors for the bottoms?

Please help?

A very much confused,
Kool Dogs laugh :D
 Everdale Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
12/2/2009 2:01:30 PM reply with quote send message to Everdale Goldens Object to Post

You can find a lot of great suits at consignment and second-hand shops. I usually find a lot of great suits at Ross (not sure if there is one where you live). Macy's is great too but it is A LOT more expensive. All of the suits on this page are something you would see people wearing. (www1.macys.com/catalog/index.ognc?CategoryID=39097&PageID=167921308542839&kw=Skirt%20Suits) Good luck and let me know if you need any more help with suit shopping! wink :)
 Kool Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
12/2/2009 2:14:18 PM reply with quote send message to Kool Dogs Object to Post

Thank ya, I was planning on going to Macys, Ross, Kohls, Platos Closet and checking out Goodwill, and JCPennys...

Ill just continue to look around and see what I can find..

Kool Dogs
 Ava Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/2/2009 2:35:44 PM reply with quote send message to Ava Kennels Object to Post

must have pockets. lol skirts I like better personally lol but anything you can run in shoes, flats (or very small heels) I personally wear sneakers but that's because I show GSDs lol lets face it we are a league of our own in this breed haha yes pick many different colors for all breeds I always dress up more and for specialties not as much but again that could just be a GSD handler thing rofl I still dress up but I save the blazers for the all breeds haha
 Everdale Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
12/2/2009 3:43:39 PM reply with quote send message to Everdale Goldens Object to Post

Yep pockets are always nice lol. wink :) Not sure if you are looking for shoes as well but I have these in black patent leather: www.shoebuy.com/aerosoles-matter-of-fact/189242 I definitely recommend them. They are very comfortable! (Also that website is free shipping & return shipping.) It's great! wink :) I just found a nice suit that was practically brand new at goodwill and it was $7. I hope you have some luck there as well!
 Sierra Mist Mountain Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/2/2009 4:05:06 PM reply with quote send message to Sierra Mist Mountain Kennels Object to Post

another great place for suits is Marshalls or TJ Max if you have them by you...another good place is Kasper outlets...thats where the handler i work with told me to try...i also found this website with tons of suits...still a little pricey but less than some of the macy's suits is this website...i haven't ordered anything from the yet but they are a bit more fancy and more for weddings and stuff but i think they would be great for shows too...i am considering getting a Westminster suit for 2010 from this website happy :)

www.womensuits.com/

oh also...idk if you have to get the hat...LOL laugh :D i didn't order yet but i will tell you if i do happy :)

good luck in finding some stuff...it shouldn't be to bad...but petites are a bit harder to find...lol happy :) i have tons of experiance when it comes to finding petite clothing...lol laugh :D

Grandiose
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/2/2009 7:17:21 PM reply with quote send message to Grandiose Object to Post

I prefer skirts...dont know why other than it was always drilled into me that pants are unprofessional. Most female pro you see will wear skirt suits.
Kaspers outlets, JCPenneys, Ross, Macys, and a million other places are good stores to get suits from. You can find a lot online as well. Try Ebay. Seriously. I have gotten quite a few Kasper and other name brand suits on EBay for $20 to $30.

Try to stick with nuetral colors (blues, reds, pinks, greens, etc) and stay away from a lot of busy patterns. Working for an all-breed handler, I would avoid blacks, browns, and yellows mostly. Watch your hem and necklines...and if you can, try the skirt on beforehand and bend over in it to check...cant tell you how many times I've seen women go "I had NO IDEA it went up that high in the back!!" You want to show the dog, not show everyone at ringside what color panties you have on happy :)
Ummmm..........what else. Blazers are a must for
AKC All Breeds, especially in the winter. Make sure you are wearing a decent top underneth that you can take it off for grooming, ex-ing, etc. and not be embarrassed.
Specialties carry an entirely differnt set of attire rules, as do Euk and West....

Good luck, have fun!!
 House of Wolves Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/2/2009 8:36:38 PM reply with quote send message to House of Wolves Kennels Object to Post

I show in a dressy tennis shoe, my breed and other breeds I've shown have been movers so I'd have a few different varieties of shoes. But make sure you're comfortable to run in them and there isn't a chance you'll lose one moving around.
 Joanne
Basic User

Basic User
12/3/2009 8:14:04 AM reply with quote send message to Joanne Object to Post

I agree with Grandoise, stick with neutral colors, for shoes a nice pair of flats with a rubber sole is a good choice (I have black and brown). I love the advice about bending over and checking what the skirt does! I personally buy alot of my suits from the second hand store, I've gotten some real finds that way. There is also a gal here in the midwest that has a clothing boutique at the shows too. Good luck

Jo
 Kool Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
12/3/2009 12:46:24 PM reply with quote send message to Kool Dogs Object to Post

Thank you everyone for the advice.

I actually prefer pant suits. Im not the 'girly girl' and hate skirts and dresses lol. I figured I would get atleast one skirt suit though.

I thought maybe do like a black, brown, khaki, and a blue suit? But yall said no? Since I have never done this I am so confused lol...I have a pair of shoes picked out as well..so we will see how that works.

Thanks Again,
Kool Dogs
 Aim High Salukis
Basic User

Basic User
12/3/2009 3:26:29 PM reply with quote send message to Aim High Salukis Object to Post

When I was working for an all breed handler I had a sage green suit, a blue suit, a pink suit, and a purple suit. None of the dogs I showed clashed with those colors, and I was showing merles, wire coats, etc. I would suggest staying away from brown and black.

Jessica has the right idea, and I agree with everything she said.. I found some really great suits at Ross for like $20. Great store. They Always have suits too, unlike Kohls and other stores like that. Some stores dont carry suits when they aren't in that season or whatever, but Ross has them year round.
 Ixion
Basic User

Basic User
12/3/2009 4:06:20 PM reply with quote send message to Ixion Object to Post

I agree on staying away from the browns and blacks. If you show a black dog, you can be in trouble with those colors. I also have found a lot of interesting show clothes at Ross, TJ Maxx, etc.
 ScarlettPoodles
Basic User

Basic User
12/5/2009 6:20:12 PM reply with quote send message to ScarlettPoodles Object to Post

I have actually found some REALLY pretty suits on ebay, for a really good price. There was a lady at a couple of the shows last summer who sold GORGEOUS suits but haven't seen her lately at shows, so I don't know if anyone sells them at a show you will be at or not..

As for color, I don't think you want anything too distracting as in a really busy pattern. Depending on the color of the dog, I think black looks good for the most part. Black goes with everything and if you have a GREAT light colored dog, it really sticks out againist a black skirt/dress. When I see a handler wearing black with a dark dog, I pretty much automatically think they're are trying to hide the topline, but I guess that's not always true.

Teals, pinks, dark blues, black, purple, and gold are all my favorites. However, wear what color you like and what looks good on you. If you find a top you really like some where, but can't find a bottom to match if it doesn't come with one, you can pretty much ALWAYS pair it with a black skirt or wear a plain black dress underneath. Plus, if you wear a plain black dress underneath then you know it won't fall down.(I always wear a black dress under a top if I don't have a matching bottom.)

I see so many handlers wearing ugly shoes as well. So if you are looking for shoes too, I'd get a cute pair of black flats as I said before black goes with EVERYTHING. happy :) You can pretty much get them anywhere, but I have found some VERY nice dog shows flats at www.gojane.com and they are about $10-$20 but look around $50. Great deal!

I hope you find some REALLY nice suits and clothes for the ring. It's always nice to have beautiful show clothes, they really make you look polished.

Good luck! happy :)

~Kaitlin
 Hidaldgo
Basic User

Basic User
12/6/2009 7:17:02 AM reply with quote send message to Hidaldgo Object to Post

You've gotten some great advice. I used to laugh at what I could only imagine people were thinking when they overheard my friend and I in the dressing rooms, getting sooo excited over pockets or "how does this look when I bend over?" - lol!!! Do you know what dogs you are going to be showing? I always coordinate what I'm wearing with the dog I'm showing. If it's multiple dogs and they are different colors, I go with something that they will stand out against, like a nice blue. I will only wear tennis shoes at some outdoor shows, if it's indoor I stick with nice flats with a rubber / non-slip sole. Keep it business / professional looking and you can't go wrong. If it's a Specialty you can go dressier. I buy most of mine from Ebay and Goodwill, I hate to pay a lot for a suit when I know I'll get dog hair and probably paw prints on it - lol! Not to mention slobber or liver stains! I too, prefer skirt suits, can't imagine showing in pants - lol!!!

Hidaldgo
 Ava Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/6/2009 9:57:51 AM reply with quote send message to Ava Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

ong thing I already told you mandi, I will post here for others to see: it is not so much certain colors to stay away from as it is making sure to have a variety of different colors and shades, no matter what you do, you will always find a dog that is bad for whatever color your wearing, and since this is an all breed handler the best advice I can give you is to have a large variety of different color and shades.

ETA: just like lighter dogs always look better when you where darker colors and darker dogs always look better when you wear lighter colors. And the in between dogs well, like I said, there will always be a dog that does not go with your suit. lol There are just way to many breeds and colors of dogs to try and buy the "perfect" suit that is perfect for any breed it just isn't possible lol.
 Aim High Salukis
Basic User

Basic User
12/6/2009 2:09:40 PM reply with quote send message to Aim High Salukis Object to Post

posted by Hidaldgo
You've gotten some great advice. I used to laugh at what I could only imagine people were thinking when they overheard my friend and I in the dressing rooms, getting sooo excited over pockets or "how does this look when I bend over?" - lol!!! Do you know what dogs you are going to be showing? I always coordinate what I'm wearing with the dog I'm showing. If it's multiple dogs and they are different colors, I go with something that they will stand out against, like a nice blue. I will only wear tennis shoes at some outdoor shows, if it's indoor I stick with nice flats with a rubber / non-slip sole. Keep it business / professional looking and you can't go wrong. If it's a Specialty you can go dressier. I buy most of mine from Ebay and Goodwill, I hate to pay a lot for a suit when I know I'll get dog hair and probably paw prints on it - lol! Not to mention slobber or liver stains! I too, prefer skirt suits, can't imagine showing in pants - lol!!!

Hidaldgo

One time, I was shopping for suits and I picked out a pretty red one.. but my mom said "Oh, but his drool will just show up way more on that one" and the lady next door burst into laughter.. lol.
 Kool Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
12/6/2009 2:48:02 PM reply with quote send message to Kool Dogs Object to Post

hahahaha @ the dressing room stories :P

Well im staying away from online shopping since I dont have the time to wait for them to come in and things fit differently. Im very picky with clothes lol...

But, I have found a couple suits I like from a couple different places, so once I get them ill get pics and show..

Thank you everyone for the advice!
Kool Dogs
 Summer Lane Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/6/2009 6:51:51 PM reply with quote send message to Summer Lane Kennels Object to Post

Another store I would recommend is H&M. I would also recommend JCPenny as I have found a couple skirts there, too.

Rachel
 hi-fi
Basic User

Basic User
12/7/2009 7:25:36 PM reply with quote send message to hi-fi Object to Post

I've gotten most of my suits from JCPenny and Chadwick's.
 Classic Touch
Basic User

Basic User
12/8/2009 4:31:30 PM reply with quote send message to Classic Touch Object to Post

Even if you don't like skirts much, you should take a few with you. They do look much more professional and there are going to be times that you will want one.

Find some that are comfortable. I don't like them much either, but I found that there were some that were okay to wear.

MJ
 JLK Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
12/9/2009 2:58:20 PM reply with quote send message to JLK Goldens Object to Post

You might check ebay too I got a really really nice pant suit for like $30 on there it retails for over 200 new and it had never been warn. You might check there sometimes you can get some great deals.

Jana

Replies in this thread : 26
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.