Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : odd phobia?
 Dream Castle Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/5/2019 1:06:37 PM reply with quote send message to Dream Castle Kennels Object to Post   

I have a 2 year old,60 pound Siberian Husky/GSD my husband and I adopted at 10 weeks old. All we know about his background is that when discovered she had been bred, someone dumped off his mother at our county animal care and control, where she had 5 puppies.( sick,right?) All in all,we have been very lucky. His temperament is beautiful.He is laid back,friendly,as gentle as he can be. He gets along great with our 2 cats and 10 year old beagle,Bailey. (who makes sure that everyone knows she owns the place,we just live here! wink :) ) His only issue is that for whatever reason,when we out his collar,harness,and lead on,he cowers like a huge baby. even if we just pick it up,he melts into this white,hairy puddle. We have done all histraining,so I know it isn't a matter of someone hurting him. We have taken him to "fun" places,like parks,nature trails,and paired it with yummy treats of cheese. (which he wont eat) Tried feeding him while wearing one or both. nada,zip. I have had many dogs over the years,purebreds and all American mutts. Never seen this. Has anyone else delt with this unusual fear? I have been told "He will out grow it",but like I said,he is 2 years old now,and still just as freaked out about it. We have frequently walked him with Bailey,who is absolutely FULL of confidence. She is "been there,done that",but its not rubbed off on him
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/8/2019 10:49:52 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Well, if you are certain he's never had any negative life experiences involving collars/harnesses or whatever, first thing, just to make sure, check if he has any sensitive spots along the path of any of these devices. Perhaps check with his vet too to make sure.

If nothing shows up, put on the collar/harness and just let him spend some time with it on around the house. distract him with treats and playing. Once he seems comfortable wearing it, attach the lead and walk him around in the house eventually venturing outside.

Perhaps he is just not accustomed to wearing this thing and it freaks him out.
 Dream Castle Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/9/2019 11:15:11 AM reply with quote send message to Dream Castle Kennels Object to Post

posted by gaylanstudio
Well, if you are certain he's never had any negative life experiences involving collars/harnesses or whatever, first thing, just to make sure, check if he has any sensitive spots along the path of any of these devices. Perhaps check with his vet too to make sure.

If nothing shows up, put on the collar/harness and just let him spend some time with it on around the house. distract him with treats and playing. Once he seems comfortable wearing it, attach the lead and walk him around in the house eventually venturing outside.

Perhaps he is just not accustomed to wearing this thing and it freaks him out.

Hmmm,never really thought about the sensitive spot.That is a good possibility,especially since he has a good health check just 3 weeks ago. I will have to try that!Perhaps he is a bit "tickilish"

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.