Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : SOP Question
 Heart Of It Kennel
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/28/2019 3:52:15 PM reply with quote send message to Heart Of It Kennel Object to Post   

Hey all! Curious as to how you all determine which puppy is the closest to the standard? I had a formula, but I don't know how to calculate General category into said formula. Le me Know!
 Emily.Rose
Basic User

Basic User
7/28/2019 5:39:57 PM reply with quote send message to Emily.Rose Object to Post

If you go to your breed page, they have a scale of points based on each category. That is what I use.

www.showdog.com/dogbreed/Cane%20Corso.aspx
For my cane corso, the head is the most important factor with general after. I guess I just always thought that general was show shine and condition (IE how long ago it trained, levels on training, how long ago it whelped, if it is pregnant etc.). I don't know if that is true or not, that is just what I've always thought and I've never cared enough to really ask to see if I was right. Then coat is next to worry about in the breed. Then everything else is much lower in the 10 and 5 points.

I don't know if that answers your question or not. But that is what I've been doing.
 Heart Of It Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/28/2019 8:03:12 PM reply with quote send message to Heart Of It Kennel Object to Post

Thank you!
 Emily.Rose
Basic User

Basic User
7/28/2019 8:18:56 PM reply with quote send message to Emily.Rose Object to Post

No problem. If anyone knows what exactly the "General" part is, maybe they can chime in. Like I said, I never really knew, I just always guessed and it worked for me. I could be very wrong though (and probably am).
 BeauBlanc
Basic User

Basic User
7/31/2019 10:51:47 PM reply with quote send message to BeauBlanc Object to Post

Ironically I just got this little fact in the "Did you know?" section...

General: The "General" factor takes into account such things as show shine and temperament in addition to the other genetic traits.

I don't know if that really clears anything up though haha.
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
8/10/2019 8:48:27 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

If your dog has high traits that fit the breed standard here, then its worth entering under judges who nearly "fit" their dogs if the following quote is on their preferences ......
"Thinks dogs should be compared to how good they are vs the rest of their breed rather than overall quality vs all dogs."

Though maybe judges only apply preference that at group level?

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
The first obedience title is a CD, or "Companion Dog", which is earned through competition in the Novice obedience class.