.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 28
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Is this game active?
 Legendary Dogs
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/25/2019 7:20:35 PM reply with quote send message to Legendary Dogs Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Looking at starting a subscription, but before I spend the money is it worth it?
Open to breeds but so far I'm leaning towards Saint Bernards or something similar

I did play the game 8ish years ago and it seemed so much more active then...
The breeds I worked with were Pharaoh hounds and the occasional Saint Bernard...

I just don't want to subscribe and start a kennel in an inactive game.
*Not trying to start a debate or diss the game, just genuinely curious.

-----
Last edited by Legendary Dogs on 7/25/2019 7:28:39 PM
 Emily.Rose
Basic User

Basic User
7/25/2019 9:31:26 PM reply with quote send message to Emily.Rose Object to Post

I think it is somewhat active, but not very buzzing. There is a small group that comes to the forum, but not a ton. In just about every breed, there is a handful of breeders. So, you know. Ten years ago, this place was a real poppin' kind of place. Now, it seems more of a retirement home (and not that is bad or anything, I'd prefer a retirement home over some hip-hopping club scene any day). I enjoy it. A lot of the older dog breeder games I used to enjoy are no longer open. This is one of the few that remains.
 BeauBlanc
Basic User

Basic User
7/25/2019 11:18:02 PM reply with quote send message to BeauBlanc Object to Post

Yes, definitely not as active as it used to be and as such it is a very different game. It's a bit of a weird mix of breeds that are at or near 100 SOP and breeds that have to be completely restarted from scratch because there are no active breeders/dogs left in the game. Many of those breeds you can speed up the process by finding "lost studs" in kennels that have been abandoned - studs that no longer show up in the stud book because the kennel is inactive, but are at the top SOP for the breed, so by you move up the SOP extremely quickly compared to breeding starters alone.

If Saints are where you are looking though they appear to be one of the few breeds that kind of run in the middle - SOP in the 96-97 range and a few active breeders. I don't know what competition is like in the breed but you should be able to get started with some nice pups.

One thing to consider is that Admin has very little involvement in the site now, so bugs are rarely if ever fixed (and there are quite a few of them!) and rules are not strictly enforced. There are users in some breeds who take advantage of that and run super kennels, although they are not abundant or anything.
 Legendary Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
7/26/2019 12:05:58 AM reply with quote send message to Legendary Dogs Object to Post

Thank you for the responses! What bugs are not getting addressed? Is there still a max # of dogs for kennels? I already started on saints and am now looking at Mastiffs also.
 BeauBlanc
Basic User

Basic User
7/26/2019 12:29:59 AM reply with quote send message to BeauBlanc Object to Post

There is still a 30 dog limit on subscribed kennels, but there are a few users who have found ways to skirt that.

Most of the bugs are minor annoyances - I frequently get redirected to the 'My Account' page when clicking a variety of different links, I can't click the "My Posts" link when I use any of my linked accounts - just minor things like that.

The biggest downside to Admin not being involved imo is that he won't upload the rest of the Picardy pictures, even though many of them are done. sad :( I won't play in breeds that don't have pictures, although obviously it's not something you have to care about haha.
 Specs
Basic User

Basic User
7/26/2019 6:35:18 AM reply with quote send message to Specs Object to Post

I find all this information very interesting.

I am also a returning old player that has been away from the game for a few years- my old kennels included Nearco Great Danes and Rock Fall Dogs Doberman Pinschers.

I may reopen those kennels at a later time, they are in debt right now.

I am surprised at how many breeds are at or near 100 SOP now.

Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/26/2019 5:19:38 PM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

posted by BeauBlanc
I won't play in breeds that don't have pictures, although obviously it's not something you have to care about haha.
This makes me sad. I know my breed is done and I have been asking for over a year and..... what's the point anymore. I'm talking to a wall.

I wouldn't say this game is dead, some breeds are still very active. But any errors you run into - you are on your own with them at this point.
 Tarot
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/26/2019 6:55:45 PM reply with quote send message to Tarot Object to Post

I've been on here for 11 years and I know it's probably time to let go, but I can't. I'll be here till the bitter end.
 Legendary Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
7/26/2019 8:26:59 PM reply with quote send message to Legendary Dogs Object to Post

So what is the best way to stay out of debt?
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/26/2019 9:04:23 PM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

posted by Legendary Dogs
Very easy these days. If you decide to upgrade to premium, set your salary/session setting to "12 Sessions/No Salary", you'll get 48 sessions a day. Sell what you don't use and you'll stay afloat. I haven't been under 20k in this kennel ever.

There is also a daily bonus login - "LB", loyalty bonus. I think there is a login streak to it but that's an extra free $100 a day.
 Emily.Rose
Basic User

Basic User
7/26/2019 9:30:28 PM reply with quote send message to Emily.Rose Object to Post

posted by Legendary Dogs
To add to what Comet Poodles also said, most people are extremely willing to help one and another and will do great deals on dogs. That helps out a lot when trying not to go into debt. Even with spending money on dumb things in game, I'm able to keep afloat just selling sessions and getting login bonuses.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/26/2019 11:15:34 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Yep, it is still active although with a much smaller user base, as has been noted. Some breeds are more active than others, some are nearly extinct but that makes for some interesting projects for those so inclined.

Lack of money is not a problem for most folks. If you are short, just keep logging in every day and set your salary/sessions on all sessions and sell them daily as someone else mentioned and you'll soon be fine. If you re-sub, it will be even faster.

As for bugs, they aren't a big problem. Major things like shows not running are usually fixed within a half day or so. The results will be late but they will come.

I agree about the pictures. I don't know what's involved. It may be a labour intensive job linking them all which is the issue but I'm just guessing.

It would be great having more returnees and certainly some real newbies.

(Going on 15 uninterrupted years for me - since November 2004.)

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 7/26/2019 11:25:24 PM
 Legendary Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
7/27/2019 12:56:46 AM reply with quote send message to Legendary Dogs Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Thanks y'all! It is sad to see how some breeds have died off for the most part. I was looking at a few and found so many of the top dogs that would be useful as studs in loving homes or in abandoned kennels ?? If it's that easy to stay out of debt I'll upgrade in a few days and try to work on redbone coonhounds as well. They sadly seemed to have declined in popularity and numbers.

-----
Last edited by Legendary Dogs on 7/27/2019 1:21:48 AM
 Emily.Rose.
Basic User

Basic User
7/27/2019 9:03:04 AM reply with quote send message to Emily.Rose. Object to Post

Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
7/27/2019 9:39:42 AM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

If it gives you a picture of forum activity, I went on a year long hiatus and when I came back I was still community rank #1. razz :p

Bugs aren’t a major issue, just an annoyance, and breed choice really changes how your game experience is going to be! Watch out when you start upgrading kennels, there are so many breeds that need help it’s easy to get sucked in and take them all.

But overall, the players still on the site are usually super friendly and willing to help so if you want to get started in a breed (that still has players) reaching out is your best bet!

Basic User

Basic User
7/27/2019 11:48:00 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

posted by BeauBlanc
There is still a 30 dog limit on subscribed kennels, but there are a few users who have found ways to skirt that.

Most of the bugs are minor annoyances - I frequently get redirected to the 'My Account' page when clicking a variety of different links, I can't click the "My Posts" link when I use any of my linked accounts - just minor things like that./b]
Every standard kennel can upgrade for a one off fee to have 35 adult dogs. If youve upgraded then its only when you have more than 35 dogs and continue to enter shows and breed that cheating is going on. Thats my only gripe...that Jeff never intervenes, wheras in times gone by you could be banned for any misdemeanor.
He also rarely replies to mails. I miss his interaction with us, we even used to get his Blogs at one point.

I've been in and out of the game since 2006 and yes, its quieter here now but also more relaxed. But the big upside is no money worries.

The bugs dont bother me..litters are often born an hour or more late. As someone said, sometimes if shows are stuck, they dont run til later in the day.
One day I guess we'll try to log on and the game will be gone, I'm just glad its still clunking along. happy :)

Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
7/27/2019 11:48:35 PM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

posted by BeauBlanc

Most of the bugs are minor annoyances - I frequently get redirected to the 'My Account' page when clicking a variety of different links, I can't click the "My Posts" link when I use any of my linked accounts - just minor things like that./b]
Every standard kennel can upgrade for a one off fee to have 35 adult dogs. If youve upgraded then its only when you have more than 35 dogs and continue to enter shows and breed that cheating is going on. Thats my only gripe...that Jeff never intervenes, wheras in times gone by you could be banned for any misdemeanor.
He also rarely replies to mails. I miss his interaction with us, we even used to get his Blogs at one point.

I've been in and out of the game since 2006 and yes, its quieter here now but also more relaxed. But the big upside is no money worries.

The bugs dont bother me..litters are often born an hour or more late. As someone said, sometimes if shows are stuck, they dont run til later in the day.
One day I guess we'll try to log on and the game will be gone, I'm just glad its still clunking along. happy :)

Emily.Rose
Basic User

Basic User
7/28/2019 5:46:57 AM reply with quote send message to Emily.Rose Object to Post

posted by Star Shiine
Every standard kennel can upgrade for a one off fee to have 35 adult dogs. If youve upgraded then its only when you have more than 35 dogs and continue to enter shows and breed that cheating is going on.

The extra fee to get to 35 dogs is a total waste of money, in my honest opinion. It is an extra $25. I did it thinking it would let you have an extra 25 dogs like the mega kennels do and I was stoked. did email Jeff multiple times to inquire if it was 5 or 25 dogs and after several emails to him, he never replied. I took the plunge and got it. Turns out it was just 5. I then emailed him several times to see if I could be refunded for it and it taken off of my account. After a few weeks of no reply I took a case though PayPal and PayPal sided with me that it was written in a confusing way. They refunded me.
I've only had one litter born within 15 minutes of their due date. Every other litter is much later.
 Legendary Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
7/28/2019 4:58:24 PM reply with quote send message to Legendary Dogs Object to Post

I upgraded! Woohoo! Has anyone ever had issues with someone not replying to messages? Should I just offer to buy a few adults instead of waiting for puppies?
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/28/2019 5:21:45 PM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

posted by Legendary Dogs
I upgraded! Woohoo! Has anyone ever had issues with someone not replying to messages? Should I just offer to buy a few adults instead of waiting for puppies?
Most people don't spend much time around here daily so replies aren't always lightning fast.

If you want to breed right now, look for breeding age bitches for sale in the breeds you want. If you can't find any, PM breeders. I wouldn't send offers on dogs that aren't on public sale, though.
 Whispering Springs Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/28/2019 5:39:59 PM reply with quote send message to Whispering Springs Kennel Object to Post

I started the game back in 2008. Although it is quieter than it was back then, it is the same game. Same challenges, same fun. But things move a little slower with fewer people. There are bugs like being booted out of your kennel when you click on certain legs. I have not experienced any issues with litters being born. As long as you take into consideration the websites time, litters are born on either on the hour or on the half hour, depending on their due dat. So if it is due at 9:13 am show dog time, they won't be born until 9:30 am. I've not has a litter be late since i've been back (4 months) and I stalk them haha.

Replies in this thread : 28
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.