Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 18

Author Topic : lack of public studs
 Dragunov
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/18/2019 4:13:36 AM reply with quote send message to Dragunov Object to Post   

Wouldn't it be nice if you could just click a button on someone else's adult male and request to use their stud, even if they aren't placed up for stud?

I'm involved in a few different rare breeds in all my kennels and I feel like so many of the rare breeds wouldn't be so rare if males were just placed up for stud. So many rare breeds actually have a fair amount of males but they are never placed up for stud and I often have to message the user. The amount of people who message users for stud use is not very many.

Also lots of people don't seem to check their email.

In the past I've even left breeds because people don't put up their studs.

And then sometimes you put up your studs in a rare breed and the people who used your studs get nice males and end up not putting them up for stud later...

SIGH!

Emily.Rose
Basic User

Basic User
7/18/2019 6:06:30 AM reply with quote send message to Emily.Rose Object to Post

I don't know if this adds anything or not, but I have two breeds currently, cane corso and Neapolitan Mastiff. Both, I currently have no studs for available right yet. Currently, putting them up for stud would offer nothing to the breed, I feel. To me, putting them up for stud would hinder the breeds.
I am just starting in the Neapolitan Mastiffs and their inbred percentages are ridiculous high. Putting mine up for stud makes no difference and continues to keep the inbred percentages high. However, closing off my line, after several generations, it will fall.
As for the cani corsi, I just feel nothing I have is good enough for stud. I don't have any great winners, no great colors, nothing. Plus a lot of them are pretty closely related, but nothing like the Neapolitan Mastiffs. It would just be nice to have my own line and have something desirable before putting any up for stud. Currently, all of mine are just pretty average.
Maybe those in the rarer breeds that are currently breeding might feel the same way. I don't know. Everyone has their own reasonings for what they choose to do. Also, maybe playing alone is how they prefer to play.
If you want a rarer breed that has people who want to help out, I think Granny Coon (I'm unsure if spelled her name right) is always looking for people to join her breed. I forget the breed, but she seems extremely nice and helpful. She has a great line as well and is a consistent placer in shows.
 Dragunov
Basic User

Basic User
7/18/2019 2:37:14 PM reply with quote send message to Dragunov Object to Post

I suppose that could be the reason for it, but this "wanting to play alone" or "build my own line" is what will be the death of this game, I feel. No one truly "owns" any of these sim dog pages; it's not like real life where you theoretically could have a closed breeding program.

I went to a few breeds and there'd be like 2 or 3 dogs up for stud but over 50 dogs in the game, so it's not just my breeds that are suffering.

I put up average dogs because they might be able to help someone. Again, I try not to go the hyper-real route as if this was real life and I wouldn't breed an "average" male; I'd breed as close to correct as possible in every way.

I know of the issue with Neo right now in the game which is so surprising, and I also found the Affenpinscher has only one show-ish quality female left in the game.

I still think a button to request a stud, even if he is never placed up for stud, would be great.
 High Voltage
Basic User

Basic User
7/18/2019 3:46:53 PM reply with quote send message to High Voltage Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

posted by Dragunov
I suppose that could be the reason for it, but this "wanting to play alone" or "build my own line" is what will be the death of this game, I feel. No one truly "owns" any of these sim dog pages; it's not like real life where you theoretically could have a closed breeding program.

I went to a few breeds and there'd be like 2 or 3 dogs up for stud but over 50 dogs in the game, so it's not just my breeds that are suffering.

I put up average dogs because they might be able to help someone. Again, I try not to go the hyper-real route as if this was real life and I wouldn't breed an "average" male; I'd breed as close to correct as possible in every way.

I know of the issue with Neo right now in the game which is so surprising, and I also found the Affenpinscher has only one show-ish quality female left in the game.

I still think a button to request a stud, even if he is never placed up for stud, would be great.

I have all my BRT boys up for 25.00 stud now...I can see your point on this subject.
I was really upset (at the time it happened)
to have sold the games highest SOP Black Russian Terrier boy to a kennel that immediately retired him-At the time it was a loss to the breed to have that happen
( www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=16602937 )

Anyways I do now have mine up for anyone who wants to use them

No sense in hurting the breed, eh

Have fun

-----
Last edited by High Voltage on 7/18/2019 3:49:33 PM

-----
Last edited by High Voltage on 7/18/2019 3:50:49 PM
 Dragunov
Basic User

Basic User
7/18/2019 4:30:27 PM reply with quote send message to Dragunov Object to Post

HV, I was literally just looking at him earlier this morning and wondering why he was altered. I'm so sorry to hear that. Stuff like that has happened to me also. It's mind boggling and very much discourages you to want to help anyone else out.

I don't personally mind messaging people, but I do it so much more now than I used to because I find so many more people aren't putting their dogs up.

sad :(

Basic User

Basic User
7/18/2019 5:06:33 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

I was so happy to get his daughter back after I had sold her to someone
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=16661865

Camellia has a extremely beautiful granddaughter set to hit the showring when she is old enough
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=16917023

Top sop as far as I know
 High Voltage
Basic User

Basic User
7/18/2019 5:07:59 PM reply with quote send message to High Voltage Object to Post

Sorry that was me above
Timed out
 Ruan
Basic User

Basic User
7/19/2019 4:40:20 AM reply with quote send message to Ruan Object to Post

posted by Dragunov

Part of the reason why this might occur is because of the distribution of dogs in any given account.

For example, in my Rhodesian Ridgeback kennel, I have 51 dogs in total... but that total includes all my bitches, puppies, and dogs that are part of my source line. So while it may look like there's 51 Rhodesian Ridgebacks in the game, of those, only FOUR are current SOP adult males that even could be put up for stud. I have 6 other males that aren't old enough yet.

And the situation looks pretty similar with this account. I may have 45 Chows, but once you exclude bitches, puppies and the source line, there's only 6 adult males. And 4 boys that aren't old enough to be put up for stud yet.

So when you see someone only offering a handful of studs, it's most likely not because they're being selfish and deliberately not making studs available. The chances are good that all their available males ARE up for stud, and they just also have a lot of bitches, puppies, and dogs that haven't quite hit 30 days old yet.
 Dragunov
Basic User

Basic User
7/19/2019 7:27:19 AM reply with quote send message to Dragunov Object to Post

True and good points, Ruan.

Congrats HV!!! Yes, your little female looks like top SOP. I hope she finishes quickly. I have a couple to be sessioned as well, so see you in the ring!

D
 BeauBlanc
Basic User

Basic User
7/19/2019 12:04:43 PM reply with quote send message to BeauBlanc Object to Post

I also find this frustrating. The argument that they "won't add anything to the breed" doesn't really make sense to me either, to be honest. Obviously you are keeping them because they add something to your kennel? And at least if they're out there it shows people that the breed is accessible, even if the studs aren't quite at top SOP or what not. If they're all related that's okay, people can make their own decisions about who to breed with who or they can use starters to expand the gene pool, but increase SOP quickly by using high SOP studs. If those studs aren't available at all it makes the breed unappealing, in my opinion.

Studs that are a few points off the top are still usable. I started my Amstaff kennel with a 99.45 when the showable SOP was 99.65-99.70, and fairly quickly surpassed the top SOP.

Regardless, I put all of my dogs up to stud when they are of age. It's up to other users to decide whether to use them or not.
 AussieGold
Basic User

Basic User
7/19/2019 12:21:53 PM reply with quote send message to AussieGold Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

-----
Last edited by AussieGold on 7/22/2019 5:15:32 AM
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/19/2019 8:41:54 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I have always made a point of making all my boys available at a reasonable/competitive rate - dogs, rabbits, horses.

Doing otherwise, especially with the declining membership that we are seeing in all these games these days can be a death knell for the game. New players/returning players are bound to see these attitudes to be a turnoff. We need to maintain a sense of community!

That said, remember that if the kennel is inactive, males that were less than 30 days when it was active could not have been put at stud - just a thought.
 Ruan
Basic User

Basic User
7/20/2019 6:16:20 AM reply with quote send message to Ruan Object to Post

I agree with BeauBlanc and Gaylanstudio. It's up to players to decide whether a particular stud is useful to them or not, so I always keep all my dogs up for stud, and I appreciate it when other breeders put theirs up for stud. And maintaining an open, friendly community is how games like this stay alive.

In Chows, genetic diversity has been an issue. All my dogs are pretty inbred, but I managed to reduce it a little by using outside studs - including ones that were a little behind in SOP.

And my ENTIRE Rhodesian Ridgeback kennel wouldn't be here without outside studs! When I went into the breed, it was with two old bitches and three old dogs purchased from inactive kennels, and I'm still relying on studs in inactive accounts. Without other people making dogs available, I'd literally be breeding Rhodesian Ridgebacks entirely from starters now.
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
7/21/2019 2:41:54 PM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

I used to have most of my dogs at stud, usually with the proviso that I am offered 2nd pick. Its unlikley that I would buy it but constantly most users would ignore that. If I'm going to share my hard work on here and chance someone else getting the highest SOP in the breed, I want the opportunity to keep up by having a full sister or brother.

In my other kennels and there have been several, I have been happy to share with those that play fair and am pleased if they do well with my breeding.

In RL sometimes you just cant get to use the dog you want to as they are at very limited public stud...you dont get to use the best studs until you snd your dogs have proved themselves in the ring at Championship shows. I play this game like RL rightly or wrongly.
 Dogs of Show
Basic User

Basic User
7/22/2019 4:34:29 PM reply with quote send message to Dogs of Show Object to Post

Would it really make a difference? Surely if someone has not put their males up at stud it's most likely because they don't want other players using them for whatever reason. In which case they are unlikely to accept any requests to use the male that come threw.
 Emily.Rose.
Basic User

Basic User
7/22/2019 5:56:16 PM reply with quote send message to Emily.Rose. Object to Post

posted by Dogs of Show
Would it really make a difference? Surely if someone has not put their males up at stud it's most likely because they don't want other players using them for whatever reason. In which case they are unlikely to accept any requests to use the male that come threw.
Have you tried messaging them and offering a ridiculously high stud fee to that person to show how interested you are? Or offering to buy that stud for a ridiculously high price?
 Ruan
Basic User

Basic User
7/23/2019 5:04:00 AM reply with quote send message to Ruan Object to Post

posted by Star Shiine
I used to have most of my dogs at stud, usually with the proviso that I am offered 2nd pick. Its unlikley that I would buy it but constantly most users would ignore that.
Is it possible that happened because they never actually saw your proviso? Because if they went to the main Stud Dogs page with all the studs for the breed listed, they'd never even see what was written in your kennel slogan.

You'd have to set your studs to require approval, and then when someone requests to use one of your studs, you send a message stating your terms, and only approve the stud request if they agree to give you second pick of the litter. Which honestly, I think most people would agree to, since selling puppies these days is really hard and they'd probably leap at the chance to have at least one puppy sell. Better than FHing finishable pups because nobody else wants them.
 Lisboa
Basic User

Basic User
7/23/2019 5:43:49 PM reply with quote send message to Lisboa Object to Post

and some us just forget that the male is of breeding age
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/25/2019 1:11:18 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

That too, Lisboa.

See something you like - just ask.

Replies in this thread : 18

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class